"No charge" service calls ... to tip or not to tip?

Users who are viewing this thread

The Old Maid

Reaction score
Website
potluck2point0.wordpress.com
Seems the decent thing to do, if it doesn't get someone in trouble. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a free service call, but if the well guy drove some distance to get there, do we offer a $20, or what? Yea, nay, or wrong $$ amount?

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Some companies do not allow them to accept a Tip.

But most will take Cash.

I accidentally drop the money in their pocket.

A tip is very good to give.

Murphy625

Reaction score
Seems to me that a "no charge" service call should be just that... A tip, even though its voluntary, is still a charge.

My thoughts on this issue:
1) Those no charge calls are designed to play the statistics. They hope to find something wrong that they can make money on fixing. Its a gamble but I think they figure if they visit x number of places free, they'll get a hit that requires them to do something that makes the profit. Pure and simple, the "no charge service call" is a way into your pocket book that doesn't always work.

2) For those honest service folks who make these free inspections, a better way to say thanks is to give them your customer loyalty and spread the word to your friends and family.

Did I miss any other perspectives?

DonL

Reaction score
Even if you have to pay, the tip is for the worker, not the company.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In addition to the work that my son Jamie does, he often gets tips.
It happens.
Some of that may be that they are happy with the work. :)

I find that when I tip, I get better service at places I deal with. When I go out dancing, they take care of me very well. It comes back to you. I always tip for water.
When I was doing a lot of bath remodel work, complete start to finish, there were things the customers got that weren't on the bid. If things went smooth, they got it. That was my "tip" in reverse.

DonL

Reaction score
In addition to the work that my son Jamie does, he often gets tips.
It happens.
Some of that may be that they are happy with the work. :)

I find that when I tip, I get better service at places I deal with. When I go out dancing, they take care of me very well. It comes back to you. I always tip for water.
When I was doing a lot of bath remodel work, complete start to finish, there were things the customers got that weren't on the bid. If things went smooth, they got it. That was my "tip" in reverse.

That is nice.

When I went to Vegas drinks were free.

I would always tip and they took good care of me, I always had a drink while they pass up others that did not tip.

It does pay off, and is well worth it.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We get a lot of tips

Don't bet on the horses, watch your head on the beam etc...

The cash tips I give to my son who works with me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks