Hopefully last dumb question,

Users who are viewing this thread

randy111

Reaction score
The down pipe in my well is black plastic, one piece, 175' long. As I raise the defective pump,, the pipe is going to
lay across dirty ground, and we also have chickens and dogs, and a donkey in the yard. How do I keep the pipe clean,
or how do I clean it before I drop the new pump?
Thanks for the help , Randy

I know you say no rope in the hole, is this what is referred to as a drop cable? recommend a metal cable as opposed to a rope?

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah nothing like animal waste on the poly pipe.....

The best thing to do is to get some bleach and rags and thoroughly wipe the pipe with rags soaked in bleach to kill the bacteria and then chlorinate the well when you're done.

Drop cable to me means the pump wire that runs down the hole to power the pump.

Never put rope in a well, if you don't trust the pipe, get better pipe.

Years ago there was a company that made poly pipe with 1/8" stainless steel aircraft cable bonded to it, that would be the only kind of cable I would ever consider using.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even if you wipe the pipe down with bleach you will still need to disinfect the well and the entire water system. That calls for a quantity of chlorine to be put in the well and pumped throughout the water system. The system needs to stand for a period of time and then thoroughly flushed. How much and how long spends on the amount of water in the system.

randy111

Reaction score
got it done, we now have good water. the old wires had been repaired before, and did not have shrink wrap on them. of course there was water under the tape,
do you figure that was the problem with the pump cutting off before pressure was at 50psi? it would eventually get to 50psi, after 3 cycles or so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks