Supply line leak from well to home leaking. Need advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

panolo

Reaction score
Hey folks. First time I have needed to post after getting so much help with projects just by reading old threads. Thanks for the great advice on everything from water softener repair to lift pump recommendations.

Here is my deal. Came home to a wet basement. Dried everything out and it appears it is coming from my poly supply line that runs under the basement footings through a black corrugated line. I can watch the level rise inside of the black corrugated when I have my well powered up and there is water usage. When it is powered down the level of course falls down inside the pipe. I see zero pressure loss.

Here is my dilemma. The run from the house isn't that long. 50' or so. Unfortunately it runs under a porch that is 15' wide, 6' of clean ground, and then 4' of sidewalk before the final clean ground run to the well. I am seeing zero soft spots in the yard between, it also is a straight shot so they shouldn't have needed any 90's or T's. Which leads me to believe that the leak is probably closer to home around the footing area.

Here are my questions:

The home was built about 15 years ago and I don't think the porch footings go down as far as the basement footings however the area was excavated the same by the pictures I saw. Any chance that the plumber ran the the corrugated pipe all the way to the outside of the porch?

Is it even feasible to pull the old pipe the 18' or so feet if I excavated to the edge of the porch?

Am I off base by thinking the leak is probably closer to the house because of the lack of soft spots in the yard and the rise and fall of the water inside the corrugated line? Any chance it's leaking by the well casing and cut a river to the bottom of the footing?

Is there any reason in a worst case scenario that I couldn't move move my inlet location to the side of the porch (approx 20') and cut a new hole through the block and than run my poly pipe along the basement wall to the pressure tank while leaving the existing wiring with the old inlet pipe?

I'm not rich and can't imagine trying to bore a hole under the porch would be cheap at all.

Thanks for taking the time to try and give me some ideas or assistance.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I'm not clear on the black corrugated pipe but it sounds like it's just a liner to protect the water line from the well. From all indications I believe you do have a leak in line from the well to the inside of the basement. by your description
Is there any reason in a worst case scenario that I couldn't move my inlet location to the side of the porch (approx 20') and cut a new hole through the block and than run my poly pipe along the basement wall to the pressure tank while leaving the existing wiring with the old inlet pipe?
. That would be my simplest suggestion and it should work OK.

panolo

Reaction score
The pipe is like a drain tile pipe without the tile holes so you can slide the inlet pipe under the footing without it rubbing.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe you can pull the poly, but a lot of times that thin wall corrugated pipe will be collapsed.

I have seen guys shove 1/2" poly inside the 1" poly and then make their connection at the well. I prefer to use 3/4" Pex if I absolutely, positively have no other choice.

panolo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I got somewhat lucky as they ran the line through a corrugated tile all the way to the well. It turned out after excavating that it is leaking from the pitless to supply line and running through the corrugated into my drain tile. Called in the pro's and letting them handle it as it looks as if the pitless is leaking and not just the barbed garbage galvanized they used to connect the PE and pitless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks