Question About Flat Wyes

Users who are viewing this thread

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
At the risk of asking a question that's been asked a hundred times (wye is too general a term to search on), is connecting a horizontal branch line to the main horizontal drain via a flat wye allowed, a bad idea, or both? I have it in my head that it's allowed but can lead to problems down the road.

Thanks,

Sam

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are talking about a "T-wye" YES YOU CAN . If it is a Sanitary tee / or short turn tee no you may not .

Short turn/sanitary tee should only be used from the horizontal to the vertical . Long turn or t-wye is allowed for either.

Cal

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Cal. Definately not talking about sani-tees or vent-tees on the horizontal. Speaking of that incorrect fitting usage, the DIY'er that redid the drain lines in the house we recently bought used sani-tees for all horizontal branch connections along with 90s, about half a dozen ferncos, a four inch to three inch transition, no cleanouts, and some of the most creative pipe supports I've ever seen - string, left over fittings, and a tree limb. He was so proud of his work he had the relator point it out to potential buyers as a "plus".

Thanks again,
Sam

Finnegan

Reaction score
When cutting vents into a horizontal line, they must take off between 45 degrees and vertical.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Clarification

Just to clarify, I was talking about horizontal branch drains connecting to the main horizontal drain using a flat wye. I had it in my head, from somewhere, that these connections worked best if rolled.

As for vent connections to the horizontal using a wye, if you can't roll it somewhere between vertical and 45, don't you assume that at most a correctly sized pipe will never be more than 1/3 full and work from there?

Thanks,
Sam

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks