(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confirmation of plumbing layout needed

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like to work from the top first and then work my down.
    I know I need vents through the roof. I know trap arms can only be so long. I start there.

All great points and I tried two different layouts and I have a drawing of the second because the first would have required that I cut holes through the joist too close to the bottom. This second layout takes a vent from the tub to the wall. The first way took the water to the wall and then over to my vertical access but to keep 1/4 per foot I ended up with only and inch of joist left at the bottom of the hole.
    Name:  plan 4 1.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  99.1 KBName:  plan 4 2.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  40.3 KBName:  plan 4 3.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  65.0 KBName:  plan 4 4.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  66.2 KB

Blog Entries

How about a simple layout picture looking from the top of the fixtures being used in that room.

Name:  plan 4 5.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  55.0 KBName:  plan 4 6.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  71.8 KB

The vent for the shower thar runs horizontal below the floor and over to the wall where it then goes vertical. You can't do that. The horizontal section will fill with waste over time, clog and become useless.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

I realty appreciate the constructive criticism. I thought about what everyone has said and went back to my basic books and made a new plan. I think this addresses the issues raised. Its a bit weird but I tried to get the vent to exit at vertical. This time I also drew in the toilet DWV. Before the start of all of this the main stack was 4 inch cast iron turned and went horizontally under the toilet so they just put a tee on its back for connecting the toilet. the fitting were very corroded and thin on the bottom especially under the toilet. also it was only 13 inches Center to Center main stack to where the toilet needs to feed into that pipe. I rebuilt it the way it was made before and realized that was not a good idea so i rebuilt it in the only way I thought it could fit and work. But now after listening to the pointer on what not to do which has lead me to what is in the drawing now.
    Name:  plan 5.1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  45.1 KBName:  plan 5.2.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  46.8 KBName:  plan 5.3.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  82.8 KBName:  plan 5.4.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  74.7 KBName:  plan 5.5.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  79.3 KB
    Last edited by mahuska; 08-24-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling

And her are two more that detail the toilet and overall
    Name:  plan 5.6.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  54.9 KBName:  plan 5.7.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  99.3 KB

The shower vent is still flat.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

No its not, the shower is minimum you can be, two pipe diameters from weir to vent then the vent goes up to 42 inches above floor level before turning horizontal connect into the roof vent..

This is getting too hard to follow. No plumber would install anything you have drawn thus far like that. What is your trap to vent distance on the tub?

36 inches for the tub. I don't want to install this crazy thing this way either but I don't see an alternative that satisfies minimum branch arm length, allows vents to exit vertically and allow me fit the floor plan

Without being there its real hard to get a handle on things. I'm sure there is a "right way" to do this but again, not being able to actually see the framing and locations makes it difficult. That's why we get the big bucks to do what we do LOL

I understand and appreciate those working as professionals and the time and effort is represented by being a licensed plumbing professional.
    Here a little context for where I'm at, I live in a small town(<9600) that is 30 miles away from other city's and an hour from a city over 40,000. Iowa has had building codes for a long time but it was up to the municipality to enforce them and that meant for a long time only larger communities even had officialy worried about inspectors and licensing of professionals. About 2-3 years ago Iowa made a couple of changes, they rolled out regulations the required all tradesmen to be licensed and that trades the generally require knowledge of building codes have to pass the appropriate trade exams. The state took on inspection and enforcement of electrical work if the local city did not have a code enforcement and that is done through the state fire marshal. There was no similar action implemented for plumbing. Our city has no inspection not that that is a good thing. All of the tradesmen I have worked with understand the importance of the codes but without enforcement there is not a feedback loop nor the necessity to continually refine your craft. I worked as a house builder and contractor for many years and have a group of plumbers that I worked with and around and I have a sense of who is good and who is so-so and i have run a couple of arrangement for this particular plan by a couple of them and one fellow though the original way would be OK (one that i have not show to this forum) but after I realize the it formed an S-trap. Another comment from a plumbing professional was "tubs don't need vents, they have one built in". So you might understand the environment a little more but with that said I know a guy who does a lot of commercial work maybe he can help. I was just trying to wrap this up because my wife is get "impatient" with me and I am about three months behind.
    Last edited by mahuska; 08-25-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Here is a nice link to Bert Polk's plumbing tips

Tubs need vents
    The toilet can be vented downstream.
    Sometimes we will drop below the floor joists if needed to run our layout, depending on the framing constrictions we have been left with.

The link above by an Oregon inspector is one of the best I've seen for explaining how things may be done.

Tubs don't need traps because they are self vented? I hope that was just a mis-quote and he ment to say toilets don't need vents because they are a full siphoning fixture. Anyhoo......... I think your best bet would be to find a local plumber that comes recommendd and pay him to do the rough in.