Drop Pipe Choice With New Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

TJanak

Reaction score
I'm out of town (of course) and my wife calls saying there is no water. I'll get dad to go over and test and see what we can find out, but I don't have a good feeling.

Assuming I need a new pump, what do you recommend for drop pipe? 4" pvc casing, 80-120' deep (probably 80'), 1/2 HP pump currently on galvanized pipe. Some sulfur and iron in water. I've seen a couple new wells recently put in with pvc drop pipe and this seems a good way to go. What type of pipe and couplings are best? Thread sealant? How tight? I appreciated any and all advice!

Also, on the CSV, would I put one in the well or above ground near my pressure tank?

Thanks,
Travis

Wow, haven't been on here in a while and my avatar is a cat!

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sch 80 pvc drop pipe with sch 120 PVC couplings. We use Rector seal and tighten the pipe & couplings hand tight, but some guys run them up a little with channel lock pliers.

And NO after thousands of installations over 25 years, we have never seen a string of pipe unscrew.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I like polyethylene pipe with brass or stainless steel adapters. We ran pumps as deep as 400 feet on a good grade of 1" polyethylene pipe in Northern Pennsylvania and it worked fine. PVC is OK but always an effort to pull. I'd use an adjustable (not plastic) CSV valve near the tank.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
160 lb poly will support the weight of the pump ok, but it is super flexible and the wire will get chafed up big time unless there are plenty of torque arresters installed. Another problem is that when you have to pull poly, it lays on the ground and can pickup all kinds of bacteria and transfer the bacteria to the well.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
We never use anything around here other than poly unless the well is over 500' or so.

TJanak

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Ended up being bad capacitor, so that was easy.

For future reference though, I've pulled pumps on poly before but they had a rope/cable holding the weight. I know most here prefer to not use a rope and that is fine, but how do you anchor the poly at the well seal to hold the weight?

Also, we've just taped the wire to the poly and never had a problem with it rubbing through with no torque arrestors, etc. Is this just luck or the way it should be done?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
In most areas code says you need a rope or a wire. In truth though, it's not like anybody is ever going to check that. Personally having used rope over the years I can honestly say that it's a waste of time and money. Theres no way in hell you are going to pull a pump 300 plus feed with quarter inch rope.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score

Attachments

• WS208.jpg
    WS208.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 403

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
After 10-15 years in a damp environment that eye bolt will be at the bottom of the hole along with the rope.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks