(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Plugged shallow well help

Default Plugged shallow well help

Hi folks. I have a 2 inch shallow well my father had put down about 8 years ago and it was never hooked up. It is a PVC well and was jetted down. I hooked up a pump to it about a year ago and was only able to get a trickle out of the pump. It picked up prime but was unable to pull the water out. I am looking for suggestions on how to salvage this well that was never used. The soil is clay based so I suspect the well point is plugged.

A little back ground on myself. I worked putting down wells and repairing pump and pump systems back in the mid 70's. Back then we would either pour muriatic acid down them and cap them off over night or shoot them. Since I have been out of that area of work for many years I am looking to see if things have changed and what I might try today to unplug the screen. Back when I was doing this we just pounded galvanized pipe in the ground with a well point for shallow wells and open pipe for deep wells. This is a PVC pipe and I worry shooting it might do more damage than good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You might try running a jetter down again and going a bit deeper. I suspect shooting it might prove dangerous and ineffective.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    You might try running a jetter down again and going a bit deeper. I suspect shooting it might prove dangerous and ineffective.
    Ah, maybe I should have explained the well is in Florida. lol I am pretty sure this well was jetted down with a well point.

Yep. Remove the piping from the well head and run the jetter down the point. A pressure washer works too. It will blow the sand, mud and crap out. Sometimes compressed air will work too if you have a big enough compressor.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Ok, I will give it a shot with compressed air or a pressure washer. If that don't work I will contact the well guy and see if he has a jetter.

Got up to the farm this weekend. Pressurized the well with 125PSI several times. Then I dumped a gallon of Muriatic acid down it and let it set capped for several hours. It did not build up pressure or boil over. Hooked up a 1/2HP shallow well pump to it and just pumps a little stream about the size of a pencil. I did not even try to measure it. Guess the next step is to get the well guy out and have him look at it or put down another one.