Question about 1 hole versus 2 hole kitchen faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck Roy

Reaction score
We are getting a new granite counter in the kitchen and are looking at new kitchen faucets.

The faucet that my wife likes the most (Delta Pilar with Touch2O technology) will require two holes - one for the handle and one for the spout.

My concern is what happens if we decide to change to a one hole faucet after a few years. What happens to the second hole in the granite?

If I need to have the granite guys save me some of the left over granite, I need to let them know before they cut and install it.

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It probably isn't a big issue...use the second hole for something like a soap dispenser, a hot water dispenser, or you could cap it.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem is when you trade from a one hole faucet to a two hole faucet and the holes are not centered (which may never happen).

By the way, when granite installers cut holes in the granite, the round pieces that fall out are pretty much unusable.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The problem is when you trade from a one hole faucet to a two hole faucet and the holes are not centered (which may never happen)

Actually, the spout hole, which is the critical one, is ALWAYS properly centered on the sink Supplementary holes, are spaced off it, usually on 4" centers. Some prudent homeowners prefer that the installers drill 3 or 4 holes on 4" centers in case they decide to add soap/lotion dispensers, r/o faucet, hot water dispenser, drain operators, etc. My sink has 6 holes in it and all are being used, (in fact I could have used a seventh one for disposer remote switch).

Chuck Roy

Reaction score
Crisis may be averted

Wife & I met with the granite people today to look at how the counters will be cut from the slab. After we decided on the layout, I asked them the question about what to do with the second hole if you later switch to a one hole faucet.

Two items were decided.
1: I will get all of the leftover granite from the slab. There is not enough left to be sold as remnants so they will just give it to me. If needed sometime in the future, there will be enough to make some sort of plug or cover for the hole.

2: My wife decided that she can live with the one hole faucets.

Thanks for everyone who replied. Now, can't wait to get this project completed.

Chuck

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, the faucet isn't ALWAYS centered...on mine, with a D-shaped sink, I've got mine about at the corner of the curve in the D, on the right-hand side. I've got a filtered water faucet centered on the curve, and a soap dispenser on the left-hand corner. Since it's a high spout, pull-out and I'm right-handed, not having to reach across the sink is easier, and I can set a pot on the counter to fill, rather than in the sink, which may or may not have stuff in it! On custom stuff, there is no right or wrong...it's where you want it. Damn the convention - I like my layout better. It also makes future access easier, since there's more room and you don't have to try to see and feel behind the silly sink next to the wall (my base cabinet is moderately large, so there's room on the side).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
But, if you had a "two hole faucet" like the being asked about, the spout hole would STILL be where you have it and the other one would be to one side or the other of it. THAT hole is the one a single handle faucet, like yours, would then use if it were changed and the other hole would be utilized for something else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks