Fitting over dented pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

SuprDavd

Reaction score
I need to put an elbow on this 3/4" copper pipe coming out of the concrete slab. It has a pretty good size dent in it. is there a way to straighten it enough to get the elbow to slide over it? If i cut it and can't straighten it, digging down into the slab may damage it further.

Also, I did a preview and the pic is sideways, even tho the original is not. Not sure how that happened.

photo-2.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
fitting to pipe tolerance is very small. I know of no way you can remove that dent and make a good connection. Time for a hammer and chisel. You might want to consider renting a small rotary hammer, it would be easier and quicker than the hammer/chisel method. You have to get not only deep enough to get below the dent, but wide enough to use a tubing cutter. I think the job sounds worse than it really is.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's a pretty good sized dent or crimp.
If you plan to put a coupling or 90 fitting on the pipe, it's not going to be over the dent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A combination of a male and female "resizing" tools will straighten it out to the original configuration. The male first to push the dent straight and the the female one to restore the original o.d. BUT, you have to cut the tubing first since they only work on the end of the tubing.

SuprDavd

Reaction score
After determining the setting of the cabinets there was just enough room to cut the pipe above the dent. That, and not screwing up cutting the pipe, allowed for a successful install. Lucked out on this one. Thank you for your advice and help. This is a great site.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks