In-line water filter for Roma Steam Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

memphisliza

Reaction score
We have a Roma Steam Shower installed. There is an in-line copper water filter that filters the water going into the steam generator which gets easily clogged. It costs $42 from Roma and they will only ship COD, which means you have to be at home and it costs $17!.

The filter is 2 7/8" long and 3/4" in outer diameter and has a hexagonal cross section in the middle with smaller threaded cylindrical connections on either end. There is absolutely no markings.

I am looking for a replacement source for this item and wondered if anybody could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

Frances Evans

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Which Roma Filter?

I went to the Roma site and couldn't tell which filter you are getting so I could suggest an alternative. Can you post a link that will show it, or describe more or give a part number that they give you when you order it?

What is the filter purported to do? What happens if you just leave it out?

The filter is very small. If it is just removing stuff from the water you would be better off to put a larger filter in the line that serves the shower. It would probably last 10 times as long and cost no more per unit.

memphisliza

Reaction score
No info anywhere

I cannot find any mention of this inline filter on the web site or in the installation manual, and on the invoice that they sent with the replacement, it says "filter". I have attached a video snapshot of it, I hope that gives a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I am waiting for a callback from them, but was hoping it was a standard plumbing part that I could source somewhere else.

Thanks

Attachments

• Roma Filter.jpg
    Roma Filter.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,667

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The engineer in me would take it apart and find out what is in it. It looks like something they get $45 for and it is probably desinged to plug up so you need a new one. If it is no value to you and you want to send it to me for an autopsy, send me a Private Message with your EMail and I will send you my address.

The other thing you might try is take it apart and see if you could just gut it and put it back on the shower. It looks like it could be disassembled easily.

Another alternative is to go to Home Depot and get a brass pipe about the correct length (looks like 1/4" pipe) and substitute it and see if it makes any difference.

The fact that they won't tell you anything about it, and it looks so hokey like a home made piece of unfinished brass, and it has no part number, makes me think it is a $5 something in a $45 package.

memphisliza

Reaction score
Ok, It's Apart Now

Well, the engineer in me (electrical, so I have an excuse) did not think it came apart, but it does with some difficulty and you are quite right. Inside is a small spring and a shaped piece of copper "mesh", except is is rigid and perhaps 1/16" thick. It is clogged with coppery blue and white deposit. I might try to clean it with CLR....it certainly looks more like a $.25 dollar piece than $45, and I certainly don't need to replace the outer shell.

(I have replace it once, but we had a leak in our water system and I thought a bunch of junk got into it during repair. But now I think it is just mineral deposits and will continue to happen....)

Thanks for your inspiration. What do you think? (See pics)

Attachments

• Filter Guts.jpg
    Filter Guts.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,500
  • Filter Apart.jpg
    Filter Apart.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,550

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like nothing more than a screen. I suspect that the inlet end is the end opposite the spring, and the end with the spring is closed. It is probably designed to collect particles much like the strainer on your faucet.

If it were really quality stuff they would make it from stainless so it wouldn't corrode. If it plugs up so frequently that it is a nuisance you might be able to put a filter in the supply line if it is accessible. Otherwise, you might just leave the internals out of it.

If you ever get a new one, you might want to take it apart before you use it to see what it looks like when new.

There is a shower filter at the ROMA site that uses KDF media. Maybe they fill the little screen with KDF media, but is seems pretty small for that. KDF seems to be a big thing in water treatment. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-33,GGLG:en&q=kdf+media
Filter Code: 26
Model No: RCCQ
Shower Filter Replacement

KDF55 - There are 15 ounces (466) grams of KDF media in each cartridge. As chlorinated water flows through the filter cartridge, the two dissimilar metals in KDF, (copper and zinc) create a galvanic or electrolytic reaction which causes the two chlorine ions to combine with a zinc ion to form a harmless zinc chloride. KDF does not hold the chlorine, it changes chlorine from an element to a harmless compound, which flushes out of the filter. KDF is a non-toxic granular filter media which is produced within the regulations of "The Drinking Water Act' (PL 99-399 of June 19, 1986.) Replacement averages between every 9 and 12 months. A reduction in flow would indicate a need for replacement. Your results may vary depending on use and water conditions.

memphisliza

Reaction score
thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for your help, probably wouldn't have dissassebled the filter without your encouragement. I soaked the inner filter in CLR and it was good as new the next day. The guy at Roma and I finally talked and he said that cleaning it was fine as long as you could blow through it, and echoed your suggestion of putting an in-line filter ahead of his. Unfortunately you can't just buy the inner filter thingy, just the $40 copper assembly....

Oh well, I'll stock up on CLR.

Thanks

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score

Lindsay López

Reaction score
We are at the same step as Francis. I have loosened the hex nut but cannot remove the barrel that contains the filter. Can you walk me through it? Thanks!! Lindsay

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks