Tell me what I have and if it's working correctly - Vids included

Users who are viewing this thread

Skoby

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm new to owning/living on property with a private well so I'm not entirely sure if the pressure is adequate or not. The pressure is very low at the washer. I included some videos to give an idea of what I have and would like to know more info on what I have.

The kitchen seems a bit low but I'm not sure if that's due to me not being used to a private well. Should I be concerned with the pressure or does it appear ok?

The washer is waaay slow on cold but I suppose this could be a valve not turned up. Any info on what I have would be helpful along with any thoughts on what's going on with my pressure. Is the system adequate the way it is or does it need any updating? Any other info or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Control_zps221874ce.jpg

IMG_20130821_105605_zps0362f481.jpg

WaterFilter_zps58e3270d.jpg

Any thoughts on this pressure?

[video=youtube;9ft2fB0z-O8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ft2fB0z-O8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Water Pressure - Pump turns on at 25lb and shuts off at 45lb then settles in around 35lb. The end of the video shows the shower running and I'm not sure if the pressure is where it's supposed to be. Once again, I'm used to public water pressure.

[video=youtube;R2LYXxCEnZI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2LYXxCEnZI[/video]

Video of Washing Machine slow fill

[video=youtube;EdkwP5b6ajc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdkwP5b6ajc[/video]

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You have your own water well now. You could have so much pressure at home that you would never want to visit a city and experience low pressure again. But it is up to you. You have to make it happen. There are a few easy things you can do to start.

First clean the filter and get a new cartridge. If the filter clogs again, you need to develop the well and get it cleaned up.

Second you need to clean out the screens on the washing machine hose washers.

Third you can turn up the pressure switch by the tank. On at 40 and off at 60 is more common and will be much better pressure in the house. Turn the large adjustment in the pressure switch clockwise about 4 full turns. Make sure your pump still shuts off when you are not using any water.

If the well is deep, you may need a larger pump to be able to turn the pressure up as high as you want. But as I said, there is no reason for a house well system to have low pressure. You could have 100 PSI where the shower would drill holes through you if you wanted that much pressure. You are in charge of this water system. Don’t settle for less than being comfortable.

Skoby

Reaction score
You have your own water well now. You could have so much pressure at home that you would never want to visit a city and experience low pressure again. But it is up to you. You have to make it happen. There are a few easy things you can do to start.

First clean the filter and get a new cartridge. If the filter clogs again, you need to develop the well and get it cleaned up.

Second you need to clean out the screens on the washing machine hose washers.

Third you can turn up the pressure switch by the tank. On at 40 and off at 60 is more common and will be much better pressure in the house. Turn the large adjustment in the pressure switch clockwise about 4 full turns. Make sure your pump still shuts off when you are not using any water.

If the well is deep, you may need a larger pump to be able to turn the pressure up as high as you want. But as I said, there is no reason for a house well system to have low pressure. You could have 100 PSI where the shower would drill holes through you if you wanted that much pressure. You are in charge of this water system. Don’t settle for less than being comfortable.

Thanks, I'll change the filter, check the washer a little more thoroughly. The pressure switch I'll try after. Thanks again

Wondering

Reaction score
You will also need to change your tanks air charge when you adjust your pressure switch.

Skoby

Reaction score
You will also need to change your tanks air charge when you adjust your pressure switch.

Turned the nut 4 turns for a 10lb increase. Also added air to the tank using a hand pump (hand pump wasn't easy, next time I'll have a compressor available).

Noticeable difference as I'm now at 35/55 rather than 25/45. Also the kitchen faucet had an issue so I replaced it and it's working well.

I think I'll increase to 40/60 when I have an air compressor and second person here. Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may also want to clean the aerators in the faucets and remove the water restrictors that are in the aerator assembly.

Judging by the little lever on the pressure switch, you may have a well that doesn't have a great yield, so be careful with your water usage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks