One or two wax rings?

Users who are viewing this thread

ehuisvuil

In the Trades
Reaction score
Following everyone's advice, I bought a Drake, which should be arriving in a day or two. I remembered that a few years ago, when I lifted the toilet up, I took some pictures of the floor and flange.

From wjcandee's advice, I think this looks like a one wax ring job. Does that look right to you guys? And do you have a preferred never-fails wax ring?

Thanks
Bob

Floor165.jpg Floor168.jpg

Attachments

• SSPX0165.jpg
    SSPX0165.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 781
  • SSPX0168.jpg
    SSPX0168.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 693

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I can't tell much from those pictures.

If the flange is below the finished floor, it will need either two wax rings, or a think ring.
If the flange is "above" the finished floor, you can get by with one. When setting the bowl, you need to feel wax compression. If you don't feel it, pull back up and put a second ring down.

Riderman

Reaction score
I can't tell much from those pictures.

If the flange is below the finished floor, it will need either two wax rings, or a think ring.
If the flange is "above" the finished floor, you can get by with one. When setting the bowl, you need to feel wax compression. If you don't feel it, pull back up and put a second ring down.

I'm no expert like you. But I have to ask, why two vs one wax ring? Those things are thick! Do you mean to say a gap of 3/4 inch can be secured by 2 wax rings? I cannot believe a flange is up/down +\- more than 3\8". If so, I cannot believe a wax ring is even an option.

I can only go by the 7 different places I have lived where a toilet has been replaced though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That flange at the floor is a large pipe connected to sewer. Sewer gas will come up the pipe and into the home.
Sealing a bowl to the flange means at least one wax ring. If a flange was secured to a subfloor, and then underlayment cut around it, it will require two wax rings to fully seal between the flange and the lower portion of the bowl. When you look under a bowl, there is a 1/2" of distance between the area around the horn and the floor. That 1/2" needs sealing plus whatever distance is between finished floor and flange. Otherwise, you will always smell sewer gas in your home. :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks