Gorilla glue/ spout question

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuckalutes

Reaction score
Of course I know where the shut off is what I'm asking is your recommendation on taking out the corroded screws on the handles.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
picture

Terry; I hadn't seen an American Standard push/pull valve in decades until another plumber asked me how to fix one a couple of months ago and had to show him how to access the pistons.

Chuckalutes

Reaction score
I can just drill right between them?

gorilla_glue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, see if you can find new trim and replacement stems for your valve. If you can't, you might as well just bite the bullet and change the entire thing out. Then, depending on what valve you have, you could probably just cut it off. A remodel or renovation plate is likely your friend there, as it can cover the bigger hole you may need to gain access, and cover the old wider spread of the handles.

To drill out the screws, if you're going to throw the valve away, I'd not bother. Only if I was going to try to save things would it be worth the effort. THen, you'd drill through the center of the screw with a drill bit big enough to free up the head once you get through it. You may need a puller to then remove the handle. You typically need the handle off before you can remove the stem.

We still haven't seen a picture of what you have, so some of this is just generic - to get specific, we need to know what you have.

Asktom

Reaction score
Two things...
(1) Drill the top of the screw until the head pops off, pull off the handle, squirt on the magic "loosen it" juice of your choice, then remove the bottom part of the screw with pliers
(2) In plumbing, Gorilla Glue is only very rarely the correct answer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, the mechanism was first used by Schaible for their sink faucets in the 50s, then Sears adopted it for their Lady Kenmore line, later American Standard used it on their first "control tower" sinks, (which then became a disaster), and finally it wound up in the push/pull line of bathroom faucets in the 60s. The problem with the design is that the handle turns the faucet on, but springs have to turn it off and if the spring or stem gets stuck on something, there is NOTHING in the universe that is going to turn it off until you take it apart. My boss's doctor had a Shaible faucet in his kitchen on the North side of Chicago and we were in the South suburbs. Every so often, until I got fed up and changed the faucet, it would stick and I had to go up there and "unstick" it. Someone was making a "Moen" style retrofit "front end" for the push/pull but I have not seen it for years.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A screw extractor is critical if you're planning on reusing the hole it's in, but here, the goal is to be able to remove the handles, pull the stem, then find a new one. The first thing you have to do is to remove the screwhead, getting the rest of the screw out is irrelevant.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, Jadnashua I see your point,. I didn’t think about in like that. I was not sure what he has as far as the type of the faucet. I was not thinking about replacing the stems. I was being safe since I don’t know what he has. My thought was maybe he could just replace a rubber washer etc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ONce the head is removed the handle will come off and there will be a stub of the screw sticking out of the stem, THAT stub will remove with a pair of pliers and the stem will be intact.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks