New drain for washing machine in condo

Users who are viewing this thread

smiralira

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Considering purchasing new washer and dryer for condo, only problem would be the drainage. Their is no existing plumbing for washing machine, but the closet it would go in would be next to kitchen with sink and dishwasher. Would it be possible to drain to sink 1 1/2"? Or should I forget about it? Condo is on 2nd floor. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

smiralira

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I suggest you get a competent plumber to come and look at it and let them tell you if it is possible to add a washing machine drain line.

What you are suggesting may or may not work, washer lines should be 2".

smiralira

Reaction score
I'm sugesting to run to drain hose to the p trap under the sink and have to sink act like a basin, would that even work?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can try just running the drain hose right into the sink and see if it will drain fast enough to keep up with the washer.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Washers today dump a huge amount of water in a very short time. I don't think running the drain to the P trap would be proper although it might work by forcing the water that the drain can't handle up into the sink. A washer's drain hose is supposed to hook over a standpipe and is not plumbed solidly into the drain. However, the drain must be 2" to deal with the large volume. Since the 1-1/2" sink drain is too small to handle the load, using the sink as Cass suggests is probably your best bet. The sink will act as a temporary holding tank until the small drain can handle it. Obviously, the real right thing to do would be to put in a 2" drainline to the main drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many condos have plumbing "back to back".

A problem you have, may be shared by your neighbor.

The washer should drain into a 2" line for starters.
If you open the wall, you may find a 2" line to work with.

The vent for the washer can be revented above the height of either the washer drain or the sink, which ever is highest.

smiralira

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!, i'll let you know what I plan to do and if it works.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am on the board of my condo. We have WM in the units, but if we didn't, we would take a VERY dim view of anyone installing one. Here in California , at least, it seems the association is responsible for most damage done to the common are ( walls, ceilings, etc. except for the paint). Most homeowners do NOT have liability insurance, if you can believe that. Suing them is usually fruitless even if damage caused was their fault.
We would at a minimum require a very robust drain pan with a drain line plumbed to it. We would not allow you to tie into a 1 1/2" line because that is a recipe for an overflow. The line in the wall is probably 2", so this might fly. If you needed access to another unit for plumbing or electrical work in the walls or ceilings, we could not force the other owner to comply.

We have pancake FAU with direct vents. One owner wanted to replace it with a conventional unit which would have required penetrating the (flat) roof for a flue. The answer was NO WAY JOSE! We guard our roof integrity like it was a firstborn child!

smiralira

Reaction score
This is a portable WM and I have decided to just roll it out and hook it to the sink and also drain it there.

Thanks for all your comments

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Ez Beans A Simple Fix

avoid all the assoc. fines ect. this isn't listed in the code books or UCMJ

run the hose out the closest window. works wonders for the grass also.

that's what we do back home :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm sure the condo association would just love to see a hose dumping wash water out a window! ;)

smiralira

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just an update that I ran 5/8" drain hose that came with the washer and ran it though the wall in to the kitchen faucet drain that is 1 1/2" and hooked it up with a dishwasher pvc drain pipe adapter, works along with the dishwasher drain and both work like a charm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks