Washer supply valve VS boiler relief valve

Users who are viewing this thread

eddie-o

Reaction score
Washer supply valve VS boiler drain valve

Is there any problem in using a boiler drain valve as a supply valve for a clothes washer?
It seems to be the only 1/4 turn valve readily available in my area that has the configuration I need; male, 1/2", near 90 degrees with the handle accessible (top) after installation.
The visible difference is in the amount of threads available to the hose connection - three as opposed to five or so for the normal hose bib connection.

Thanks!

Attachments

• boiler drain.jpg
    boiler drain.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 407
  • washer supply.jpg
    washer supply.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

DaPlumma

Reaction score
When you say boiler relief valve what comes to mind is a temperature / pressure relief valve. What exactly are you trying to do. Connect your washer hoses.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I purchase a washing machine box valve and then remove the valve from the shank and screw it in to the shank inside the existing box. Usually boiler drains are too large to screw/turn inside and/orl give room to operate the handle.

eddie-o

Reaction score
Thanks HJ. Though I installed prior to your post and went with the boiler drain valve... sure enough it was a bugger of a tight squeeze getting the valve in there - but made it with minor modification to the existing box (had to break one side out). :mad:
I appreciate the sharing of your experience and taking time to post a reply!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks