(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: shower drain - is this gap normal?

Product R&D for a powertool manufacturer dgold's Avatar

Default shower drain - is this gap normal?

Below are two pictures of my 2nd floor shower drain. Is this gap supposed to be there, or should there be some sort of o-ring / gasket / caulking in there?

I've cleaned this up with Bleach/Water, then Bar Keeper's Friend using a stiff brush. It's not fully cleaned, but I've uncovdered this gap, and am wondering if it should or shouldn't be there, or if I need to seal it up.

I have some sort of leak which is staining the ceiling of my 1st floor kitchen. Fortunately, we've got other bathrooms, so we've been able to not use it for several days now, but I'd prefer not to open up my ceiling to fix the drain if at all possible.

Lastly, if I remove the grout around this drain, is it replaceable from the top? I might even have an extra sheet of tile.

Thanks in advance.
    Not a pro, but happy to share my lessons learned whenever I can. This forum has been a fantastic resource along the way.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like you have a clamping drain and perhaps a hot mop shower waterproofing system.

Not familiar with that drain but if you do have a hot mopped shower then you most likely have 1.5"- 2" of mortar above your hot mop. A O ring would not improve the function of the drain if this is so but might keep things a little cleaner. If you have staining from this shower then perhaps you have a leak some where.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.