Wires from Main panael to Subpanel in two separate raceways?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
is the volatge drop on theat smallest wire distance (pole to meter) is most improtant, or the wwhole voltage drop on all transmition line and only final voltage as lowest line at the meter is most improtant?
The wire from the pole to the meter is completely irrelevant. The POCO owns and maintains it, so changing it or upgrading is it rarely an option.
I have seen 400A services on #2AL triplex.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
the conduit fill calculator I've been using flunks 4 #4 THHN wires in one-inch FMC,
You are correct about the THHN conductors. I suppose I let my contracting side come out as I always use THW conductors for this type of installation. If the conductors are dual rated THHN/THWN then they need a 1 1/4 pipe.

He could use the proper #10 EGC and use the 1 inch pipe as long as it was THHN conductors

Chris B.

Electrician
Reaction score
Thanks for all your advises.
Re garding "enough room for a 1" conduit, but enough for two 3/4" ones? Does not sound logical".
Very simple, subpanel mounted next to main panel, to make a metal conduit from one space between 2x4 studs to another requires either felixible metal conduit or several offset pieces. 1" flex metal is very expensive, sold only in 50' size. I already have 3/4" a piece. If use rigid matal an several offesets - this will not make nice compact, close to wall implemenattion. This what I thought. I could be wring ofcourse.

If you took a picture, somebody could provide you with a specific suggestion to solve your problem. If in fact you need to run 1", which you probably don't, a conduit fitting or combination of fittings would probably solve the problem.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Very simple, tha panel is in the basement, on the wall, where right below the panel (9" space) is a concrete wall down to the floor. It is not enough space, vertically between the concrete wall and bottom of a panel, to convinienly install 30 or 40 space main panel. It is 36"+ high, just too long/tall. The 150A or 200A main panel with 20 spaces, 30" tall metal case/frame fits perfectly. And just next to I will fit 12 space subpanel.
If you could send a picture that would help me help you.

JWelectric

Reaction score
here is a picture of my sister, does that help?

mysweetheart_zps713b1d44.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JWelectric

Reaction score
here is one of me checking for voltage

PPE.jpg

and another of me raising chickens, good watch dog

bigdoglittlechick.jpg

And one more of me and the wife on our first date in our new car

bulletnose_zps0e0d74ca.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks