Dropped plastic handle for auger down the washing machine drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Carrotguy

Reaction score
Hi...

Before I call out a plumber, I wanted to get a range of ideas for possible fixes. My 2" watching machine drain was backing up, so I tried to auger it with a handheld 1/4in handle-type auger. This is the small S-type handle auger with black plastic handles on each side of the body.

As I was drawing the cable out after my final attempt, the black plastic handle slipped off of the drain-facing side, and fell down to the trap of the pipe. I ride to spear it with a coat hanger, and flood the pipe with water so it would float to the top, but it seems like I've flooded it past the trap to an unknown distance down the drain.

If I were to call out a professional, do they have any pincer-type extensions at the end of drain cameras? Would the strategy be to push the plastic handle the rest of the way down the pipe? This is a slab foundation by the way :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on its size, it may not have passed through the trap. A small video probe would determine if it is still there, and if not it will probably just continue to flow to the main line..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks