Spigot to ice chest

Users who are viewing this thread

Flyinpig14

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not, but I thought maybe someone here could help me. I am building a wooden ice chest box around an ice chest. The ice chest doesn't have a drain plug, and I am trying to figure out how to add a spigot to the side. I already ruined one ice chest by drilling a hole and apparently using all the wrong parts to try and add this spigot. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, just any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff so please take it easy on me!
Thanks in advance!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't you think it would be easier to buy an ice chest with a built in spigot?

But just in case you can't do that, a spigot most likely comes with a rubber washer, a metal washer and a nut, that go inside the chest to plug the hole and to stop leaks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It really depends on what the chest is made out of. A picture might help.

If it's something that is soft, like a plastic, you may need to bond it in place rather than try something to make a compression seal (i.e., with a nut and washer). There are some good waterproofing compounds out there - one that comes to mind is KerdiFix, which will stick to nearly anything, is flexible, and waterproof. It's kind of expensive, but comes in, I think, three different sized tubes - the smallest would be way more than enough.

Mrbeing123

Reaction score
I can try to help. We uses these a lot for drums, hoppers and tanks where I work (oil/gas chemical blending company). Might want to check the miniature ones but I see there are no gaskets on it. With these, you would then have a female threaded fitting, where you could add whatever plumbing too it that you want. But like jadnashua said, the ice chest's insulation might compress too much to use something like this. Again like he said, bonding it with a proper adhesive might be in order. If I had to say what kind of adhesive, I would go with maybe an acrylic based epoxies specifically made for plastics.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#tank-pipe-fittings/=o3bvye

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks