Flapper Flop

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
I've got a Kohler K4620 two-piece toilet.

When the flapper started leaking, I replaced it with a Korky red "universal" flapper. This flapper didn't seal properly, so I went to the plumbing supply store for the OEM flapper. They could not find my model number on their computer and finally sold me a GP85160, which seems to be Kohler's "universal" flapper. They said that the float was pre-adjusted for 1.6 gal toilets.

Nope! The flapper closed in 1/2 a second at that setting, so the flush was useless. I moved the float all the way down on the chain, and it is better, but still closes too soon. I'm wondering if I should have gotten a GP87449 (same flapper w/o float). It sure seems like it would be a lot easier to install and give me a better flush.

toilet-36-dollars.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally the float can be adjusted either higher or lower on the chain to change the duration.
K-4620 tank for a Wellwoth toilet.

Last edited:

Kiko

Reaction score
Terry, now I know why that (K4620) number wasn't in their computer. It was for the tank, which is discontinued. They still should have been able to cross-reference it though you would think, instead of having me look through a hundred toilet diagrams to try to pick out my toilet.

I like HJ's idea of using the floatless flapper and adjusting the water level.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A nother solution would be to pick up a Fluidmater flapper that lets you dial it down to 1.6 gallons, or a standard 1.6 gallon flapper that drops quicker.
The higher the water in the tank, the better the flush.
That's why the old lo-boy one piece toilets had such a hard time flushing.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Okay...

The part should have been in their computer because the part (flapper) is for the tank.

In fact, if you look at Terry's link, there's a link to "service parts". The specific flapper that came in your toilet is long discontinued/supplanted. The correct part, according to Kohler, for you to use in your toilet is the very part that your supplier sold you, the GP85160. (Links below.)

GP85160.jpg

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp?partNumber=1006958

gp85160-2.jpg

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/partProductDetails.jsp?productId=637980&substituteskuId=613426

HJ's "solution" is creative, but of course this means putting in a flapper that drains the tank and adjusting the water level downwards, which results in a less-powerful rush of water out of the tank. What I see everywhere, of course, is that plumbers install the "drain the tank" flapper, then allow the tank to be filled to 1/2" below the top of the overflow riser, which turns the thing back into a 3.5 gallon-per-flush toilet. This illustrates how easy it is to defeat the water-saving features of low-flow toilets. The sad part is that the 3.5 gallons running through that toilet doesn't produce anywhere near as effective a flush as a modern 1.28gpf Toto.

If you aren't satisfied with the flush on that early low-flow, at some point you might invest in a more modern toilet with a 3" flush valve that actually accomplishes something with 1.6 or even 1.28 gallons per flush. Even a basic Toto Drake at around $200-ish would probably surprise you. If that's out of your price range, even something like a Delta toilet would give you a decent flush.

PS Korky also makes a number of "dialable" 2-inch flappers. This one is the newest:

korky-part-100.jpg

This one is one I have used and gives decent if not pinpoint control: This one is probably closest to your Kohler flapper -- no dial but it adjusts with the float thingy: http://korky.com/Flapper2004BP.html

korky-2004.jpg

Also, if the flapper is closing too fast, make sure the "wings" are positioned correctly on your flush valve hooks. It doesn't always solve the problem, but sometimes helps.

Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiko

Reaction score
My chief concern is that the flapper seats properly, which the GP85160 does so far.
I've moved the float down a bit further and the flapper stays open enough now.

BTW, my brother has three Toto Drakes and is always complaining about the quick flush.
He was asking me how I could get those 3" flappers to stay open longer.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Complaining about a Toto Drake's quick flush is like complaining about a Porche's quick acceleration. That quick flush is what make the excellent performance possible with a minimum amount of water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; which results in a less-powerful rush of water out of the tank

The difference in the water level is usually about 3-4 inches which translates to about 2 to 3 ounces psi, which is usually not enough to cause any difference in the flush. The low boy toilets used the tank water for the siphonic action and the "bypass" valve to wash the rim.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Huh. As an experiment, I filled my GMax Toto about half way up, then flushed it by holding the flapper open and evacuating all the water from the tank.

Noticeable difference in flush power. Is that odd?

Frankly, if it doesn't make any difference, the why did manufacturers bother setting them up this way?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A little extra height never hurt, plus, by not evacuating the tank, you have some (likely) room-temp water to temper the incoming cold from the supply which can minimize tank sweating.

FWIW, one of the big deals about flushing fast is that, to do it, you must push most of the water out in a very fast manner - this clears the bowl better. It also means it refills faster, since it didn't use much water.

As long as the toilet does its job, what's the deal about it being quick about it?! It would be another thing if it left stuff behind, but that's rarely the case with a Toto and an open drain (i.e., no clogs).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks