Water testing medium-hard water

Users who are viewing this thread

jpoet

Reaction score
Hi,

I had an eco water rep try and sell me one of their $7000 systems. Needless to say, I am not going to spend that kind of money, but it did get me thinking it would be nice to have better water. I love taking a shower at my sister's house (near the Columbia river in Washington State). Her water is really 'soft'.

I found this report for my area: http://www.abcwua.org/files/waterquality/datatables-2012/zone12.html
My question is, is that good enough, or should I buy my own water testing kit? The eco water rep told me I had slightly over medium-hard water, whatever that means. I am guessing she was using something like one of the Hach kits, but I don't remember how many drops she used.

I currently have a whole-home filter hooked up where a water softener is designed to go. There is even a drain there, so installing a water softener should be 'easy'.

I would like to loose as little water pressure as possible. I am hoping that replacing that filter with the softener will end up being equivalent as far as water pressure loss goes. The current hook-ups are 3/4 inch, but I am still tempted to go with one of the Fleck 7000SXT units.

Two people in the home, two full baths, and I work from home so I am here most of the day. All of that makes me think I should get a 32k unit?

Is there any reason not to splurge on the SST-60 Resin?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't get anything until you know what you need and you need a water test for that. Other than that a fleck 7000 is a very good choice. As for sst60 that's up to you. Ou probably don't need it and it does cost more than standard mesh resin but get a test 1st.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If that report is for your water, then I would recommend a 1.5 Cu. ft. 7000 system. 1.5 cu. ft. system is 50% larger and usually only cost a few dollars more. it has higher service flows, better efficiency, and their really is no downside. SST60, nah. I would recommend a good quality 10% crosslink resin. I would also recommend not buying from the cheapest company online.

The 7000 has 3/4" plumbing connectors available in both threaded plastic and sweat which will make your installation a little easier.

jpoet

Reaction score
If that report is for your water, then I would recommend a 1.5 Cu. ft. 7000 system. 1.5 cu. ft. system is 50% larger and usually only cost a few dollars more. it has higher service flows, better efficiency, and their really is no downside.
I read somewhere that you should not get a unit that is too big, but I also have read that bigger units are "more efficient". So, it is good to get a recommendation to achieve that balance.

SST60, nah. I would recommend a good quality 10% crosslink resin.
How often does the resin need to be replaced?

I would also recommend not buying from the cheapest company online.
That presumes that I know who the cheapest company online is, and who is not the cheapest company :)

The 7000 has 3/4" plumbing connectors available in both threaded plastic and sweat which will make your installation a little easier.
Sounds good.

Thanks you.

jpoet

Reaction score
Don't get anything until you know what you need and you need a water test for that. Other than that a fleck 7000 is a very good choice. As for sst60 that's up to you. Ou probably don't need it and it does cost more than standard mesh resin but get a test 1st.
I read how the SST-60 is supposed to use less water and salt, but I don't know what they were comparing it to. I get the impression that you don't think it saves enough water and salt to justify the extra up-front expense?

Thanks.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
SST60 does have better performance capabilities and if you have the extra cash and want to go with it, by all means, go for it. It will last longer, use slightly less water and salt and if you have small amounts of iron it will perform better that std mesh. I'm not really trying to talk you out of it, it is good resin.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Too long between regenerations... this is an old topic and well worth considering. Their are many reasons for frequent regenerations. But what is frequent? Portable exchange tanks typically regenerate every month or 2. Non electronic systems regenerate with no over-ride, and it is not uncommon to go months between regenerations. The general concensous, and this is by no means written in stone, every 30 days or less is fine in non iron water, weekly or more often for water with iron.

SST60 is a good resin, but in non chlorinated supplies with proper iron treatment protocols in place, regular resin can least for 5-25 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks