Bissell vacuum sparking and smelling terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

RealRobD

Reaction score
My vacuum suddenly acted as if something got stuck in the brush and began to make a terrible noise and smell awful. I figured it was a quick pop it open, free the brush and I'd be on my way. Nope! Turns out the motor is sparking more than normal at the armature and brush contact point. And the motor acts as if it's under a lot of stress. I disassembled it, cleaned the armature, inspected everything and it looked okay. Plugged the motor in and gave it a brief whirl and quickly off as I could see the same issue persists. A new motor is about $50 but I'd rather keep that in my pocket and do a minor repair. If the armature is bad or hell even if it's just the brushes, I don't believe you can buy them. You're forced to buy a new motor instead. Any thoughts?

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
You can clean out between all the bars where the brushes contact the armature and it may help but I doubt it. If this is something you are going to use all the time then buy the new motor.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Many times the beater brush assembly (Not Motor brush) will get something in its bearings and that can stress the motor and belt.

You have to disassemble to clean and lube the brush bushings. I use sewing machine oil.

It may not be worth a new motor, Unless it is a high end model. It could have a bad bearing.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you take the brushes out and see how much was left? That gunk between the bars on the armature probably came from wear on the brushes...they don't grow back!

DonL

Reaction score
Did you take the brushes out and see how much was left? That gunk between the bars on the armature probably came from wear on the brushes...they don't grow back!

Very True.

If the old brushes are good and they are used, they should be installed in the same position / direction.

They do make a special cleaner bar for cleaning the armature, That you can get from a motor rebuilding company.

RealRobD

Reaction score

Brushes were removed in my original tear down and inspection. They each have about 1" of carbon left on them.

The armature's communicator bar slots are "gunk" free.

Resistance tests between communicator bars at 180º and bar to bar resulted in equal measurements all the way around.

Resistance between communicator bars and armature stack is 100%.

DonL

Reaction score
Brushes were removed in my original tear down and inspection. They each have about 1" of carbon left on them.

The armature's communicator bar slots are "gunk" free.

Resistance tests between communicator bars at 180º and bar to bar resulted in equal measurements all the way around.

Resistance between communicator bars and armature stack is 100%.

You may just have a motor overload problem, something binding.

What is the smell that you get ?

Does that motor have a capacitor ?

RealRobD

Reaction score
You may just have a motor overload problem, something binding.

What is the smell that you get ?

Does that motor have a capacitor ?

Best I can describe the smell as a phenolic material burning.

No cap on the motor.

I'm pretty much down to it's a bad armature. I may get good reading out of service but it may be failing under power.

I'll just have to replace the whole thing anyway. Seeing as I can't buy just one part for this particular motor. I knew this from the beginning, I just like to solve the puzzle :)

Jbk

Reaction score
Best I can describe the smell as a phenolic material burning.

No cap on the motor.

I'm pretty much down to it's a bad armature. I may get good reading out of service but it may be failing under power.

I'll just have to replace the whole thing anyway. Seeing as I can't buy just one part for this particular motor. I knew this from the beginning, I just like to solve the puzzle :)

Did your new motor solve the problem? I have the same issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks