Shower diverter problem

Users who are viewing this thread

ph15

Reaction score
We have a Moen model 3285 Legend Moentrol single handle tub shower valve about five years old. Person #1 showers - no problems. Minutes later person #2 turns on the water to the tub spout, presses the diverter button, and almost immediately, there is a "bang", and water won't flow to the shower head (none flows to the tub spout). The push button diverter pin is solidly pressed in, and does not move. Shutting the water off appears to release pressure, and the pin pops out. Starting water flow to the tub spout again, then diverting to the shower head almost always results the same way...occasionally, there is a pulsing flow from the shower head accompanied by a banging sound.

If the shower is left for several hours, then turned on, we again can get one shower...but never two within a short timeframe.

Moen indicated that the push button diverter needs some lubrication (it was moving with some resistance). I removed the pin, lubricated it put everything back together, but I've got the same problem still.

A neighbour also has a similar problem, except his shower rarely will continue flowing to the shower head.

It doesn't appear to matter if hot/cold/warm water is flowing when attempting to divert....anyone have ideas on this problem ?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Try removing it again and clean the lube off of it then clean it with a peice of wet and dry 400 grit sand paper. Be sure to keep it wet while you are cleaning it. Be sure to remove all build up that you can see. Then get plumbers grease and put a very lite coat on it and see if that doesn't work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

The diverter simply changes the flow direction. If everything else is correct then it transfers the flow from the spout to the shower head. It has nothing inside it to stop the flow entirely, so that problem has to be in the shower head itself. Possibly a small item, the opening in the shower head is very small by itself, that is moving up and down the riser as the diverter functions and shuts off the head. After a time as the water drains down it pulls the thing out of the head and it falls off to the side until the next time. Remove the head and flush the riser, and shower head, out.

ph15

Reaction score
Cass, hj, thanks to you both for the suggestions.

I decided to go with the quickest plan first.

After recreating the water flow problem, I turned off the water, and removed the shower head unit (a four year old Waterpick handheld). I turned the water on to the tub spout, pressed the diverted pin...free flowing water from the shower spout! I tested the diverter several times, and flow seems to be fine to the shower spout....so it is the shower head unit. Our water is moderately hard, so it must have had an affect on the unit.

Now I need another reason to share a shower with my wife in the morning...

I am still left with a noise like a small "bang" when the diverter is initially pressed/engaged to divert to the shower spout. The noise I believe is louder than before I removed the diverter pin assembly and lubricated it. Do I need to worry about this ? Thanks very much for the help.

ph15

Reaction score
Again, thanks for the help and very simple solution.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks