Drain Question for the experts, Local Plumber installed shower drain question.

Users who are viewing this thread

RAMAIR

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question, I had a plumber come install my drain for the shower, and it seems that the drain could have been pressed down about 1/4 of an inch more. Just wondering if that could cause an issue. I asked him about it and he guarantees me that there is no issue. Just wondering what other professionals think. I am attaching a picture, but it may be hard to see. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR OPINIONS!

20130813_062411.jpg

Can I fill the gap with waterproof mold resistant silicone? or just leave it alone?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

BarryP

Reporter
Reaction score
I thought I replied to this post yesterday. Can't figure why it's not showing. Maybe you posted at another site?

Regardless, the answer to your question is not so clear cut. It depends on the materials you intend to use to install your shower floor.

A. Height is just right - if A) you install 1/4" CBU over your OSB. CBU should have 3" hole centered on drain, then cut CBU in half and install one at a time. This way CBU extends under drain flange to support better. Then apply Hydroban per Hydroban instructions. OR B) You install 1/2" CBU with a hole centered on drain and same diameter as drain flange (put 1/4" shim under drain flange for support). Then install shower liner sheet or the Schluter System.

B. Height is 1/4" too high - because you're going to use the Schluter System without any floor build-up. Drain needs to be at the lowest point of the installation.

C. Height is 1/2" too low - because your going to install a mud bed for the shower floor. Mud bed minimum thickness is 3/4".

Consult with your tile installer(s) before you discuss further with the plumber.

Barry

RAMAIR

Reaction score
No No, sorry for the confusion....
Admittedly I had taken the pvc glue and ran it along the seam again after he left just to be sure.
But the height of the drain is perfect, however within the drain itself is a 2" drain pipe that slides into the drain, my only concern is it looks like the pipe could be 1/4" longer, OR the drain could have been pushed down 1/4" more to make 100% contact, as of now it is probably at 80% contact.

Sorry, and thanks again.
The tile and floor is perfect and ready to go for tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks