(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New house came with a Rainsoft Water Softener and....

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by nate81 View Post
    No offence but this doesnt help me at all. If I was going to hire someone else to do it for me I wouldn't have bothered coming to the forums.

To me, a solid investment is buying the kit to test it myself and then i have total control of my water, not having to use some guy as a middle man. I use a high quality test kit to control my pool water to my exact specs...I don't see why i am unable to do the same with my drinking/bathing water.

The previous homeowner was a paranoid old widow who would probably buy any garbage you send her way and tell her she needs it 'or else'. I'm still not totally convinced all of the equipment I have out there is totally necessary.
    LOL. A pool test kit won't give you the necessary information. If it was cost-effective to test for numerous contaminants with a home test kit you would have been so advised. Get your water properly tested so intelligent decisions can be made as to whether all that equipment is necessary. If your water is basic, contains iron and H2S, it may well be needed in one form or another although one could perhaps optimize the implementation. Do you think the original owner was just throwing money away on unnecessary water treatment? A possibility perhaps, but right now you have no idea.

You can reasonably test hardness and pH at home. Beyond that you need a lab.
    Last edited by lifespeed; 08-14-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    Lifespeed