Recommended automatic water main shut off for "vacation" home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Icier

Reaction score
First, thanks for the forum. I've found help here a half dozen times.

The "vacation" home means we are home about 3/4 of the time, away 4 -10 days a month. I would like to install a volumetric? shutoff valve after main and before much else that would shut off water if the house used a disproportionate amount of water in a given time period. 100 gal. in 24 hours would be half again our daily consumption. Or a valve that would meter and "reset" if the flow rate was nil.

I did a little searching, first here and then elsewhere and heard Watercop or Floodstop leak detectors mentioned, which don't really seam to fit the bill.

Sudden flow, and pressure drop sensors don't either.

Is anyone familiar with something that might be suitable? 500 - 1,000 fun tickets would be O.K.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ALL "automatic" shutoff systems can be fooled by "normal" usage causing them to shut off the flow, and conversely, some failures can mimic normal usage which would then NOT be shut off by it.

Icier

Reaction score
ALL "automatic" shutoff systems can be fooled by "normal" usage causing them to shut off the flow, and conversely, some failures can mimic normal usage which would then NOT be shut off by it.

Thanks for reply.

I'm sure that's true. But, I'm not risking much in the effort. Even if I only diverted the water through the imaginary automatic shut-off system while we were away (then the worst that would happen, would be a couple trees didn't get watered for a few days because of an unnecessary shut-off). In the event of undetected failure, all I have is the same flooded house I would have had anyway...

But, if it worked and saved half a mile of wood flooring, I would have to get one of those ambidextrous personal back slappers.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It wouldn't "divert the water" it would shut if off completely. Your safest "control" is a valve that you turn off when you leave and turn back on when you return. It could be a solenoid valve that you flip a switch when leaving and returning.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could also be a 1/4 turn stop and waste valve you turn off/on with a curb key. Less likely to fail and probably cheaper, too.

Icier

Reaction score
I think that's three votes for easily accessible 1/4 turn shutoff.

Thanks for replies.

If you want to hear the funny part, I already installed one in the pantry because I'm doing a lot of remodeling. I'll just, you know ...use it.

BTW, This is the before and almost after of our kitchen model. You guys did the plumbing.

remodel01.jpgremodel03.jpg

JerryR

Reaction score
I travel between 2 homes. My biggest fear was a pipe failure with water running for days. I installed 1/4 turn ball valve to shut off water at each house.

The routine when leaving any time we won't be there overnight goes as follows
1- shut off water at ball valve
2- throw water heater breaker
3- turn off ice maker in refrigerator
4- set air conditioner thermostat to AWAY mode
5- set the alarm

For the AC I have a $99 Filtrete wifi thermostat. I can monitor inside and outside temp. Fully control AC remotely from anywhere in the world via my iPhone.

Jerry

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with the above answers: a $10 mechanical ball valve is all you need.

Icier

Reaction score
I travel between 2 homes. My biggest fear was a pipe failure with water running for days.

Jerry

That pretty well sums up my concerns with the original post. I think I was also trying to keep the house as "easy" as possible in case my wife has to figure it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks