(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: recently replaced pump seams to be leaking somewhere?

Default recently replaced pump seams to be leaking somewhere?

Hi all,

first time posting on here, ive had a lot of my questions answered by reading so thank you to all the pros who are on here explaining things.

my problem is that my well tank is losing water pressure at a very slow rate. i shut off water to the house and watched for a while, it slowly makes its way down to about 35 then pump comes on brings pressure up to 60 without a problem. i lose 5 lbs relatively quickly then very slowly from 55 down to 35 maybe over 30 minutes per cycle.

i have a 35 gallon well x troll tank, 1/2hp pump, and 180' of sch 120 pvc.

the water is very corrosive and less than a year ago well guy pulled and replaced the pump that had rotted off the motor. i know he changed the pump and the wire (i hope the cv down there too) do all sub pumps always get a new cv when replaced (i would think so).

i have a 1" flowtec cv on the tee of my tank so im going to go get one and replace it (ive read the other threads about the reason there only needs to be one, but if i put one that works in its place i guess i will save my pump from cycling excessively) i think localities require it. plus this gives me an opportunity to check the pressure in the bladder while i have the system down

any advise on what ive done so far or if a check valve could be bad in the well at less than a year old would be appreciated thanks in advance, and by the way with power off to the pump and the main shut off to the house closed it leaked all the way down to zero

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Seems like you need a seamless pump. LOL

It could be leaking in the line, at the pitless, or at the pump. Pumps normally have a checkvalve built in but some pump guys/gals will add one to the pump for a backup.

I don't advise putting one topside.

Check valves on the tank T is standard practice in Ct and New York. Yeah I know that doesn't make it right to some, but that's the way it's done here.

Sounds as though both check valves are leaking and you're losing pressure back into the well.

If you can't get it figured out, I know two top notch pump service guys in Carmel that I would highly recommend.
    Last edited by craigpump; 08-13-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Thanks so much for the responses. I couldn't get on the forum last evening but I tried 2 things.

First I took the guts out of the bad check valve on the tee and put it back (I put one of those shark bites right behind it to make it easy to swap in and out) problem was same to worse. It may have leaked faster but not noticeable without timing it.

Then I put a new check valve in its place, problem went away.

I'm going to call the plumber who changed the pump less than a year ago. He also changed the pump in 2003 for the previous owner, I found the old receipt (can't find the newer one) the check valve on the list is a 1" shur-align for $17.25 my water is pretty nasty stuff I guess it could go bad in 10 months.

I'm thinking I may have to put the old valve back to show my plumber there's a problem. Ill dig up the line going out and pop the cap off tomorrow just to be sure it's only 6 feet away from the house

If I do wind up pulling the pump are there any very reliable check valves out there, my well rotted a stainless pump in half in 9 years, maybe plastic?

I have a neutralizer and softener to install to bad they can't treat the water underground

Also forgot to say the new cv on the tee is holding pressure in the house and I haven't noticed any air when the pump kicks on, I'll be hangin out with it for a while tonight while I'm working down here