question for gary(water softner guy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ally68

Reaction score
I just got a new softner installed fleck 5600. Guy installed it and it regenerated once. I noticed in the drain were it drains some media I think(little orange red balls very tiny) is this just flushed out from the first recharge? or from when he backwashed it upon installation? Water feels great nothing floating around in it. Only small amount in drain not a bunch.

Thanks gary I know you will have the answer.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The loss of some resin during set up of a softener is normal if the softener does not have a top basket on the distributor tube. Most softeners don't have one, although I add one to every softener I sell and shame on you for not buying from me... :). If during setup the guy didn't fill the tank with water properly, he didn't backwash the resin bed at all and if he did, maybe not long enough to get rid of the 'excess' resin. Then during the first regen you get the resin out the drain line. As water gets colder (it gets 'thicker'; it's in the viscosity), more resin can be flushed but eventually, without much lost resin, the softener will equalize and no more resin can be loss.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Ally68

Reaction score
Thanks gary for putting my mind at ease I was worried it would get in the drinking water. and I think the setup and delivery from you would be high as I live in missouri otherwise I would have got it from you.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Like Gary, I add top baskets to every softner I sell. I would ask the person that sold it to you why he didn't add one and see if you can get one put on for free.

If your water system uses a PRV and it fails you could end up with a big, expensive mess on your hands with resin beads plugging every shower, faucet, toilet, dishwasher, washing machine, and water heater. I have had to fix quite a few homes that had this happen. Having a top basket prevents this.

Ally68

Reaction score
How many recharges before It should stop. Also my drain is a floor cup like drain so it could be just left from first backwash and just swirling around and not going down. Also I am not getting it in the water when it is in service only thru the drain line.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Ally... those folks in the brown shorts and big brown trucks, they know where you live and I send them to homes all across the US...

Sorry, I have to disagree with Cass. Not having a top basket won't leave resin out into your plumbing. The top basket only prevents resin from being backwashed out of the drain line. A downside of a top basket is rust from iron in the water plugging them up. That reduces water flow through the softener and causes incomplete backwashing and that causes resin fouling and eventual failure. But you have to have a fair amount of iron for that to happen along with failing to use a resin cleaner once in awhile.

The resin in your plumbing.... it is due to a leaking distributor tube o-ring in the bottom of the control valve or a broken/cracked/split distributor tube or bottom basket. When you run water, water comes in the top of the tank, down through the resin, the gravel underbed if you have one, up the distributor tube and through the control out the outlet to your plumbing and fixtures. So no top basket is not a problem or cause of resin in plumbing.

The only reason I use a top basket is to prevent my DIYer customers from screaming at me about resin being flushed out of their tank during setup of the softener or after the first regeneration. lol

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks