(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well problems since electrical storms

Well guys,(no pun intended) it sounds as though ya'll have tons of hands on experience, let's start a pump business. God knows we need more manufacturers in The USA
    What pump would you guys buy? Is it possible to get a used one rebuilt?

who should I buy from? I am in the boonies, and will have to have it shipped at any rate.
    Last edited by randy111; 08-12-2013 at 03:47 PM.

You can purchase a 3/4HP, 10 GPM with a Franklin 2 wire motor for about 350 bucks. With prices that cheap, no one will pay for quality anymore. If I made a pump that could last 40 years and gave it a 20 year warranty, would you pay $1500.00 for it? Once people started looking for the cheapest price, manufacturers where happy to make it available. Now you may have to replace that cheap pump 10 times in the next 40 years. But just think of how many people in China and Mexico you are helping to support.

No small pumps are rebuild-able anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    You can purchase a 3/4HP, 10 GPM with a Franklin 2 wire motor for about 350 bucks. With prices that cheap, no one will pay for quality anymore. If I made a pump that could last 40 years and gave it a 20 year warranty, would you pay $1500.00 for it? Once people started looking for the cheapest price, manufacturers where happy to make it available. Now you may have to replace that cheap pump 10 times in the next 40 years. But just think of how many people in China and Mexico you are helping to support.

No small pumps are rebuild-able anymore.

I have seen some new pumps in the $1500 range that are made in China.

China is getting better at building things, but longevity is yet to be seen.

I think the Brass has been outlawed in the US because of unsafe drinking water.

I drank from water that ran thru pipes that contained Lead.

It never affected Me, affected Me, affected Me.

Or maybe it did...
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I think the Brass has been outlawed in the US because of unsafe drinking water.

I drank from water that ran thru pipes that contained Lead.

It never affected Me, affected Me, affected Me.

Or maybe it did...

Lead doesn’t leach out of pipes and fittings unless you have erosion, acidic, or hot water. The “Lead scare” came from kids eating the lead paint off Chinese Toys, and since the government never lets a tragedy go to waste, suddenly everything with lead is bad.

We all drank from pipe and fittings that contained lead without any problems, or DonL and older guys like me wouldn’t be here to joke about it. These fittings lasted many times longer than the “low Lead” versions, as Lead is a very important part of many metals. Since “lead free” brass is brittle and turns green like copper, we have been forced to switch to Stainless Steel or other alloys.

The “Lead scare” has greatly increased the price to the consumers without increasing safety. When government gets too powerful, this becomes a familiar scenario. Saving us from a fictitious “Lead contamination” just helps keep us drowning in debt.

Many people say let the rich corporations pay for these new regulations to help keep us safe. The big corporations don’t pay a penny of it. They simply pass the costs of these regulations down to the consumers. So you better be sure regulations are really legitimate, because we as average Americans are the ones paying for them.

Whether you agree with the regulations or not is a moot point. The regs are here to stay and California is already fining those that don't comply so I would imagine that if your CSV has any brass or bronze in it, it is illegal to install there. Other states are following suit as expected.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Whether you agree with the regulations or not is a moot point. The regs are here to stay and California is already fining those that don't comply so I would imagine that if your CSV has any brass or bronze in it, it is illegal to install there. Other states are following suit as expected.
    Actually the Federal Government is adapting the same rules for all 58 states in 2014.

CSV’s now comply with the new regulations. Just letting everyone know we had to pass this cost on down to the consumers. My opinion is not a moot point. I have hopes of someday having a sensible government, which is why I speak out about such things.

Actually the Federal Government is adapting the same rules for all 58 states in 2014.

CSV’s now comply with the new regulations. Just letting everyone know we had to pass this cost on down to the consumers. My opinion is not a moot point. I have hopes of someday having a sensible government, which is why I speak out about such things.

Good luck with that lol

Where did we get those extra 8 states from, did We annex Mexico?
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Sensible government? That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

keep up the great work valve man, we are all with you, BTW, our current Potus informed us of the 58 states.
    "We are from the gooberment, and we are here to help"

Quote Originally Posted by randy111 View Post
    keep up the great work valve man, we are all with you, BTW, our current Potus informed us of the 58 states.
    "We are from the gooberment, and we are here to help"
    58 States!! Yeah I thought I was hearing things!

Story of my life!

Last edited by valveman; 08-13-2013 at 01:59 PM.

58 States!! Yeah I thought I was hearing things!

Story of my life!

Maybe that Lead affected you too, too, too.

If you look at the pumps coming from the Big Box stores you will see that the motors are different. The motors themselves are cheaper with plastic heads etc. Franklin builds these just for the Big Box guys.

I'm seeing an avg. life of 15+ years on all our submersible pumps here that have been set-up the right way. The pumps we are pulling now were installed in the 90's.

I think with ISO , If it is working, then a Pump should last for at least 10 Years no mater where it is made.

But stuff is not made to last anymore.

How many times has life on Earth ended, or should have ?

Stuff will be made on Mars or the Moon soon, And no water to pump.
    Last edited by DonL; 08-15-2013 at 07:19 AM.