Can Unifit let me move toilet a 3" to the right?

Users who are viewing this thread

micah

Reaction score
I opened up the subfloor to move the toilet flange, but there is support beams in the way. I suppose that's why the builder put the toilet to close to the wall. I am wondering if I can use a Toto unifit to move the toilet over 3". The first issue that I think I might have is that there might not be clearance under the toilet skirt. Are there some Toto models that give more clearance than others?

The second issue I think I might have is that it would bring the toilet out away from the wall. I think if swung the unibody over so that it moved the toilet over 3", then it would pull the toilet out about 1/2" from the wall. I think that would be fine with me, although I might just make the rough in for the flange to be 11.5".

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The mounting holes that hold the toilet are in line with the ones on the flange...so, depending on the flange, it might be possible to swivel it a little, but it definitely isn't made for that. Most (all?) Totos that use the UniFit adapter are designed with a nominal 3/4" behind them to the wall, so 11.5" would still leave a gap, and it should fit. Would need to see the exact geometry of what you have and what you plan to see if it might work out.

micah

Reaction score
I looked at the unifit install sheets, and I see that the toilet must sit at the same angle that the unifit is installed. So if I turn the unifit to give me three inches, then I would be turning the toilet, and give it a bad angle instead of it sitting flush against the wall. But, I think I can overcome that by modifying the unifit. I could saw off part of the back wings that hold the t-bolts. I would leave enough of each wing so that I could still use them to fasten down the unibody. But then I would reposition the sawed off wings so that the t-bolts would sit correctly to make the toilet sit perpendicular to the wall. Seems likely to work okay to me. Any better ideas?

I looked at using a Nibco offset flange, but it won't work because the existing lateral pipe is too high.

toilet flange.jpeg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd have to measure carefully...I'm not sure there's enough side-to-side clearance underneath those toilets...there's front to back room, but that won't help. The slots in that flange would give you some play

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To do what you want, there would have to be 3" to the side of the unifit inside the toilet. The issue of symmetry would mean that there would have to 3" on either side of the Unifit inside the toilet, and that is not going to happen. You will be lucky if there is 1" "extra space" inside the bowl. In any case, the piece of the Unifit attached to the toilet would require that the :"movable" piece go straight back so there is no way to put a "bend" in it to relocate it sideways.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut out the header which was improperly done in the first place and move it to the right. Then re-do the waste line.

micah

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know there isn't enough clearance under the toilet skirt to make it work. I won't try to shift using the unifit.

And moving the headers is too much work because they don't end at the wall. I will likely just go on dealing with the toilet being cramped on the one side.

Thanks all.

curiousburke

Reaction score
A Caroma with the 270 bowl will shift sideways 1"

I know this is an old thread, but this is the first bit of information I have found about shifting a toilet without re-plumbing. I only need about 1", and so the Caroma might work. What allow it to do this.

Are there any toilets made that solve this problem by having off center outlets?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
Are there any toilets made that solve this problem by having off center outlets?

No, because then they would have make toilets that offset to the right, and others that offset to the left. I am not even sure how the Caroma could offset 1" either way, unless it has very "long" slots for the closet bolts.

curiousburke

Reaction score
quote;
No, because then they would have make toilets that offset to the right, and others that offset to the left.

There's so many specialized build products out there, I would have thought they would make left and right versions as well as 1", 2", 3" etc versions. With the code requirements, I'm surprised no company has tapped into this retrofit market.

My toilet is 14.5" from the wall, and there are multiple joists that hinder it from being moved over. The plumber removed a highly offset drain, which must have been many years old, and didn't offset it quite enough. Many months later, I realized it wasn't 15" and I'm concerned what will happen when I sell.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt if that 1/2" will ever be noticed. If it was 2 or 3 inches, you'd likely have a problem. Unifit adapter make up of forward/backward differences, not side to side.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I would have thought they would make left and right versions as well as 1", 2", 3" etc versions. With the code requirements, I'm surprised no company has tapped into this retrofit market.

Do you have any idea what a toilet would have to look like to be made that way? The bolts on the floor could NOT move so the toilet would need an offset to the bowl besides the trap inside. After they got done designing it, it would be so ugly that no one would want to use one, can even if they did, the company would sell so few that it would be a "loss leader" item.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Caroma 270 bowl comes with the adapter that swivels.
It allows the bowl to be installed at 10", 12", or with up to a 1" offset to either side at 11"

caroma_adapter.jpg

somerton_s_01.jpg

somerton_s_03.jpg

Caroma Somerton bowl with their swivel adapter.

Last edited:

curiousburke

Reaction score
quote; I would have thought they would make left and right versions as well as 1", 2", 3" etc versions. With the code requirements, I'm surprised no company has tapped into this retrofit market.

Do you have any idea what a toilet would have to look like to be made that way? The bolts on the floor could NOT move so the toilet would need an offset to the bowl besides the trap inside. After they got done designing it, it would be so ugly that no one would want to use one, can even if they did, the company would sell so few that it would be a "loss leader" item.

Like a lot of people, my bathroom isn't entering any beauty pageants. I'd be happy to have an ugly toilet if it meant a non-invasive way of becoming code compliant. Remember also, the ugly side would be against the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks