(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: can unifit let me move toilet a 3" to the right?

Default can unifit let me move toilet a 3" to the right?

I opened up the subfloor to move the toilet flange, but there is support beams in the way. I suppose that's why the builder put the toilet to close to the wall. I am wondering if I can use a Toto unifit to move the toilet over 3". The first issue that I think I might have is that there might not be clearance under the toilet skirt. Are there some Toto models that give more clearance than others?

The second issue I think I might have is that it would bring the toilet out away from the wall. I think if swung the unibody over so that it moved the toilet over 3", then it would pull the toilet out about 1/2" from the wall. I think that would be fine with me, although I might just make the rough in for the flange to be 11.5".

Any thoughts or recommendations?
    Last edited by micah; 08-08-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The mounting holes that hold the toilet are in line with the ones on the flange...so, depending on the flange, it might be possible to swivel it a little, but it definitely isn't made for that. Most (all?) Totos that use the UniFit adapter are designed with a nominal 3/4" behind them to the wall, so 11.5" would still leave a gap, and it should fit. Would need to see the exact geometry of what you have and what you plan to see if it might work out.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I looked at the unifit install sheets, and I see that the toilet must sit at the same angle that the unifit is installed. So if I turn the unifit to give me three inches, then I would be turning the toilet, and give it a bad angle instead of it sitting flush against the wall. But, I think I can overcome that by modifying the unifit. I could saw off part of the back wings that hold the t-bolts. I would leave enough of each wing so that I could still use them to fasten down the unibody. But then I would reposition the sawed off wings so that the t-bolts would sit correctly to make the toilet sit perpendicular to the wall. Seems likely to work okay to me. Any better ideas?

I looked at using a Nibco offset flange, but it won't work because the existing lateral pipe is too high.

Name:  toilet flange.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  7.8 KB

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You'd have to measure carefully...I'm not sure there's enough side-to-side clearance underneath those toilets...there's front to back room, but that won't help. The slots in that flange would give you some play
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

To do what you want, there would have to be 3" to the side of the unifit inside the toilet. The issue of symmetry would mean that there would have to 3" on either side of the Unifit inside the toilet, and that is not going to happen. You will be lucky if there is 1" "extra space" inside the bowl. In any case, the piece of the Unifit attached to the toilet would require that the :"movable" piece go straight back so there is no way to put a "bend" in it to relocate it sideways.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Cut out the header which was improperly done in the first place and move it to the right. Then re-do the waste line.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Thanks for letting me know there isn't enough clearance under the toilet skirt to make it work. I won't try to shift using the unifit.

And moving the headers is too much work because they don't end at the wall. I will likely just go on dealing with the toilet being cramped on the one side.

Thanks all.

You might consider a "corner toilet".
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A Caroma with the 270 bowl will shift sideways 1"