OK to install toggle switch in parallel with pressure switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wrdaigle

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a new well pump. My new pump is a 1/2 hp 230v 3-wire Franklin. I live "off-the-grid" so my pump will generally be powered off the house battery and inverter. I don't anticipate any problems with normal operation. However, on cloudy days I occasionally run a small Honda generator for a few hours to charge the batteries. While the generator is charging the batteries, the house loads are powered off the generator as well. The new well pump is likely to max out the generator and I would like to avoid this. I have 20+ gallons of drawn down in my pressure tanks, so I can get by while the generator runs if the tanks are full at the beginning of the cycle. I would like to install a double pole toggle switch so I can manually fill the tanks before running the generator. I plan to install a pressure gauge next to the toggle switch and a 75psi pressure relief valve in the system.

I have 2 questions.
Is this a reasonable plan?
How should I wire the toggle switch? Is it safe to wire it in parallel with the pressure switch?

Cheers,
Bill

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Why not simply pop the cover off and manually press the pressure plate with your finger to start the pump? Just stay away from the contacts.

Wrdaigle

Reaction score
The pressure switch is down in the crawl space and not very easy to access on a regular basis.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can use a “toggle” switch to bypass the pressure switch. But the pressure relief valve is the only thing that will save you. Depending on which ½ HP pump you have and how deep it is to water, if the pump can even build 75 PSI. If the pump can only build 70 PSI, it will deadhead and burn up fairly quickly. Just need to make sure you have a pressure relief valve setting for what the pump needs.

Wrdaigle

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning on the pressure setting. I will do some checking and verify that the relief valve is appropriate. If I wanted to make it dummy proof, I guess I could plum in a second pressure switch and wire that into a countdown timer. Basically, I could set the primary pressure switch to 30-50lb and set the secondary pressure switch (the one on the timer) to 51-55. Then I could set set a few minutes on the countdown timer before starting the genny. I could even coordinate the timer setting with the generators programmed warm up timer. Seems a bit overkill, but it would be pretty dummy proof.

Wrdaigle

Reaction score
Hmm..Sounds like it might work. But can you tell me a little more about how it works? The website has pitifully little information. Also, what is the power consumption? I seriously considered buying a constant pressure driver from Franklin to avoid startup surge, but the 35 watt standby power was a big no no for of grid use.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Power consumption of the EPS15/99 is about 4 watts. It only comes in 240 volt. And it will start the pump when you "toggle" power back on, as long as the pressure is below the shut off PSI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks