Water Heater Power Vent questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphy625

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I bought a 50 gallon power vent water heater for my home to replace the expensive electric unit.

2 questions:

1) What are my options for terminating the PVC vent? I think an ugly pvc pipe sticking out my side wall next to my porch is going to be an eyesore and I'm wondering if anyone sells a nice termination kit? Maybe something that looks similar to a clothes dryer vent?

2) What is the best way to make a nice looking 2-3/8 inch hole through the brick on my home? I was going to buy a core drill until I saw the price of them. I'm really trying to stay away from having to drill a bunch of smaller holes around a circle and chipping it out.. that is always a messy ugly hole.

thanks,

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
You may be able to rent a core drill rather than buy, and that WOULD be the way to go.

I'm not sure how a dryer vent is any prettier than a stub of PVC. Most people put a 45 ell with a bug & mouse screen directed downward on the end and call it day. You could stub it out and install a metal hood type termination over it, but be sure it's stainless- the mildly acidic exhaust condensate would make a mess of aluminum in short years.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
hammer and chisel work good

just measure the spot you want it to come out and
use a masonary bit ... make a series of holes and
chip them out.....

or do it the old fashioned --manly way and
take a baby sledje hammer and beat a hole through the
wall with a chisel...... try not to bash your hand or finger
when swinging that baby sledje hammer.....that will smart bad...:p

install the pvc vent and PAINT IT the color of the brick...
go buy some caulcking the color of the brick and seal up
the ejges that you make

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks