(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Clawfoot tub installation with pex stub outs

Default Clawfoot tub installation with pex stub outs

Hello Everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Currently I am at the end of a whole house gut renovation and up till this point everything has gone pretty smooth. However it has come time to install the refinished clawfoot tub. Here is my problem. The guy who installed the new water lines throughout the house used pex and stubbed out in it. For all other fixtures (toilets and pedestal sinks) this hasn't been a problem, just slip on a chrome sleeve with an escutcheon and it looks good. But the pex comes straight out of the floor here and I am not sure what the solution is to attach some good looking chrome supply lines to the tub. Am I looking for a compression fitting for the pex that can then attach to the supply lines or do I need to cut a whole in the ceiling under the bathroom (I REALLY do not want to do this) and stub out in copper? (This was some advice from a local supply store)

I really hope someone can help me on this one.

Also any advice on making the PVC drain rough in look better would be appreciated!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You should be able to install "stops" on the PEX, which will then allow for standard clawfoot supplies that use compression on the stop end.

The drains normally have a slip joint connection just above the finished floor if you are using a slip joint type waste and overflow.
    If you are going with solvent weld PVC, then just make it clean.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

This is not exactly what I was trying to find, but it might get you started in looking:
    http://www.techflex.com/prod_pet.asp

I have never worked with PEX, but a nice wrap might work well if you can find decent-looking fittings for the ends. And to cover the PVC, possibly take a look at various ADA pipe shields.
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Terry,

Is this what I am looking for with the pex?
    http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/cat...hread-adapters

Right now the PVC comes right out of the floor with no adapter thoughI have 6-8inches to work with. This is what I have ordered for the drain lines. Will this slip over or have to weld? http://site.youremodel.net/addon02/0...gorec_dl_f.jpg

Thanks again for your help!