(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heating small cottage

What brand is his pellet stove.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

OK, guys - Need some help, again

I purchased and installed a 15RLS2H system from Fujitsu and did 90% of the installation myself. Today, I had a HVAC guy come over and hook up the line set, vacuum the lines and release the refrigerant (things I couldn't do myself.) We powered up and used the remote to attempt to start the unit. The indoor unit opened up, and fan started, but that was it. Outdoor unit didn't start, and it obviously wouldn't produce any heat. We looked at the troubleshooting guide, and, if you're familiar with the unit, at the end of the troubleshooting guide, it says: "If the problem persists after performing these checks, or if you notice burning smells, the OPERATION indicator lamp and the TIMER indicator lamp flashes, and the ECONOMY indicator lamp flashes fast, immediately stop the operation, turn off the breaker and consult authorized service personnel." This is exactly our condition, and the HVAC guy had no clue. We checked power and other obvious things to no avail.
    HELP! Any suggestions??

Well, I tried this yesterday, but it apparently didn't post, so here goes, again:

So, I bought a Fujitsu 15RLS2H system and did 90% of the installation myself. Yesterday, I had a HVAC guy come over and connect the line set, vacuum the lines, and release the refrigerant. (Things I thought I shouldn't or couldn't do myself) We powered up, the indoor unit opened like it should, and the fan started. Then, nothing. (No action from the outdoor unit) We went through the trouble shooting guide, to no avail, and at the end of the guide, it says: "If the problem persists after performing these checks, or if you notice burning smells, or the OPERATION indicator lamp and the TIMER indicator lamp flashes, and the ECONOMY indicator lamp flashes fast, immediately stop operation, turn off the electrical breaker and consult authorized service personnel." That's exactly what the indicator lamps are doing (no burning smells, thankfully) My HVAC guy didn't know what to do, so, any suggestions (short of calling, now, an authorized dealer who would, hopefully, know what he's doing)

Is there a Fujitsu distributor available who will talk your HVAC guy through it? It's a brand new unit, they should be willing to provide tech support to a qualified installer.

The RLS2-H series is new, but it's based on the tried & true RLS2 (no -H). Hopefully this isn't your HVAC guy's first mini-split.

Dana - I emailed Fujitsu's tech service dept and they came up with the answer in their first try! Something I could do myself. So, as of this afternoon, we're making heat 'out of thin air'!!! It's awesome! My son and I are in your debt. If you ever need advice on human resources, carpenter work, or deer hunting, let me know! This is a great site which I have used to my benefit a number of times.

Have a great day!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

To help others, what was the solution to your problem?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Great thread. And to piggy back a bit on the topic of mini-splits, I am curious about how much condensate to expect from the outdoor unit.

Specifically, if the outdoor unit were mounted to an equipment curb on a flat roof, is it worth it to pipe away the condensate, or fine to just let it drain onto the roof surface and make its way to the downspout? In my example the climate is rarely freezing, but I am interested in general.

In a CA climate (assuming you don't live at 8000' of altitude) it's fine to just let drip onto the roof. The amount of condensate (or melted defrost) you get will vary by the actual outdoor temperature & humidity. I have relatives in the foggy-dew Puget Sound region of WA that probably get several times the amount of condensate/remelt that you would anywhere in CA (due to the lower outdoor temp & higher humidity, and the higher/longer heating duty cycles) who just let it drip onto the ground next to the foundation without need to re-direct it.

You'll still get frost on the coils in CA, usually starting when the outdoor temps are in the mid-40s, but defrost cycles are brief & efficient. You get more frost + remelt when it's 40F and foggy than when it's 25F and sunny, due to the dramatically higher moisture content of the air under the warmer but wetter air condition. Any time the coil temp is 10F lower than the outdoor dew point and the duty cycle on the unit is high the condensation/frost rates pick up. Most of the time in heating mode the coil temp will be more than 10F cooler than the outdoor temp, for efficient heat exchange across the coil. Both the compressor speed and blower speed are continuously variable, and controlled to deliver the required amount of heat with maximum efficiency (the algorithms for the controls are proprietary to the manufacturer.) Efficiency is pretty high when it's condensing & frosting, despite having to periodically defrost, since the both the heat of vaporization & heat of fusion of the water is gained by the coil, and only part of the heat of fusion is given back (to get the frost to release and get blown out by the fan.)

Well, the reply is somewhat embarassing, but here goes - On the lines (electrical) which connect the indoor and outdoor units, I crossed the power lines. Polarity matters in the ability of the two units to 'talk' to one another, so it's important to not just supply power to the indoor unit, but to have it hooked up correctly. Never too old to learn.

An easy mistake to make, and an error probably committed by "pros" on a daily basis (though the same pro probably doesn't screw that up more than once.) I'm sure it's something the tech support line hears every day.

I'd be curious to know how it makes out when the overnight temps are banging on -20F, and what the mid-winter heating bills are like compared to the propane-heating neighbors. I have pretty good second hand beta on how well the Mitsubishi H2i series do in cold weather, but nothing so far on the RLS2-H, since it is such a newly released model. Specs-wise it sure looks like a winner, and it's recent RLS2 ancestor a well known and highly efficient unit.