(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: cast iron baseboard

Default cast iron baseboard

The existing cast iron baseboasd is too long for my bathroom. I am thinking separate it. Anybody has experience about this? how hard it is. If I cannot make it shorter, can I install it vertically?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Remove the two bolts, then "wiggle" the two sections and they will separate. Do the same for the other end to make it the size you need it. If you are lucky, the push nipples will stay where you need them and come out where you don't. Otherwise you will have to use a wrench to "twist them" so the come out. If you can get four of them without wrench marks you can apply pipe joint compound to them and put them back into the openings. Push the sections together and reinstall the bolts. We used a tool to press them together and then installed the bolts but you don't have that.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I don't think he's planning on re-assembling, only dis-assembling.

I'm assuming the push-nipple holes will need to be tapped for pipe-threads once you have it apart to be able to hook it up into the system.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    We used a tool to press them together and then installed the bolts but you don't have that.

I don't need put them together now but will do that soon. Could you please tell me the name of that special tool and I will try to find/buy/rent one. I need it for more than 1600sqft heating.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

This is the tool you need along with assembly instructions.
    http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multim...rd_install.pdf

John

You remove center sections and put the end pieces back together with the push nipples. Only the end sections are tapped and have legs so you do NOT tap the push nipple ports.

Because the space limitation in the bathroom, I may use a section with one leg.

No, I cannot use the one leg section alone because only end sections are threaded. Maybe install it vertically.

You're installing CI baseboard for a 1600sqft house? You shouldn't underestimate the labor involved in doing this if you haven't before. Assembling sections can be difficult, maneuvering large sections can be cumbersome, and if not done right leaks will occur. Do you have the legs to support the middle of longer sections?

quote; Do you have the legs to support the middle of longer sections?

Middle sections do NOT have legs. If you only need 2' then you need a single section which has tappings and legs on both ends. installing it vertically would reduce its efficiency because a lot of its heat comes from convection flowing up through the channels on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by mage182 View Post
    You're installing CI baseboard for a 1600sqft house? You shouldn't underestimate the labor involved in doing this if you haven't before. Assembling sections can be difficult, maneuvering large sections can be cumbersome, and if not done right leaks will occur. Do you have the legs to support the middle of longer sections?
    I have another 1400sqft with cast iron baseboard alreay. I think it is good to have the addition using the same material. I can image it is not an easy thing to do but I will be careful then.

Why not use a wal hung European steel radiator www.qht.com or substitute for copper fin tube or, if you're putting a cabinet in, a toe space heater. I hate baseboard in bathrooms. It always gets pissed on or rusted from the humidity.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Cast iron and copper fin tube radiation have completely different parameters for operating.

Nah, not in a Bathroom. If it was a larger section or in the living room I'd agree but it ain't worth the effort messing with it.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]