Advice on new shower faucet/valve kit

Users who are viewing this thread

eric price

Reaction score
Doing a full shower/tub remodel, looking for advice on new a faucet/valve/spout hardware kit. Looking at a Grohe 35 018 Europlus kit but not set on it... seen mixed reviews. Contributors here seem to speak well of Delta, but I'm open and have a flexible budget. Any advice on good deals on good products (ideally not the plastic crap I saw at Home Depot)?

*edit- also now looking at Delta T17485 Grail Monitor 17 as a possibility.
*edit #2- pressure from wife and bought the Delta. I'll revisit this and review when its installed.

In the Sacramento, CA area and will be hiring a professional for the plumbing :D.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Monitor 17 was a good idea. Listening to the wife and buying her choice of the Grail may be an even better decision, (couches can be uncomfortable to sleep on).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, I've had good luck with both Grohe and Delta...the Delta parts may be easier to get (depends on where you live, in some places, it's a wash - they're both quickly available).

old_man

Reaction score
...Any advice on good deals on good products (ideally not the plastic crap I saw at Home Depot)?

*edit- also now looking at Delta T17485 Grail Monitor 17 as a possibility.
*edit #2- pressure from wife and bought the Delta. I'll revisit this and review when its installed.

I'm in the process of installing R10000 as well. I have read online discussions regarding big box stores selling lesser quality valves with plastic parts. Decided to not take a chance and went to local plumbing supply outfit and purchased the T17430 trim kit.

Brought it home, opened it up, and virtually everything in the box is plastic. Plastic spout, plastic shower head, plastic escutcheon. All of the visible components of the valve appear to be plastic with the exception of a round metal plate with 2 holes in it.

Even stranger, Delta specsheet indicates that T17430 is not an actual product part number but a product "series". It shows that it can come with a metallic spout (RP17454), or a non-metallic spout (RP17453). Yet nothing on the box indicates which "options" are actually in the box, the only nomenclature is T17430.

Anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone know where I can obtain the "good" Delta trims? (I'm in Maryland).

delta-rp17453-terrylove-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As to the guts where water touches things, the regulations are moving towards prohibiting anything that might contain any lead, so to comply, places are using more and more plastic in them. It sounds like you bought your stuff at a big box store...most plumbing supply stores sell the pieces individually, not bundled in a set. So, you're stuck with what's in the bundle. BUy it either on-line or at a local plumbing supply store and the rough-in comes in one box, the trim and cartridge in another, and the tub spout in another, and, if you want a shower head, you pick that out separately as well. From a practical viewpoint, if you don't use abrasive cleaners, the plastic stuff will last a very long time and look good.

old_man

Reaction score
... It sounds like you bought your stuff at a big box store...most plumbing supply stores sell the pieces individually, not bundled in a set. So, you're stuck with what's in the bundle. BUy it either on-line or at a local plumbing supply store and the rough-in comes in one box, the trim and cartridge in another, and the tub spout in another, and, if you want a shower head, you pick that out separately as well. From a practical viewpoint, if you don't use abrasive cleaners, the plastic stuff will last a very long time and look good.

As I said, I went out of my way to avoid big box store, I made this purchase at my local plumbing supply store. The R10000 rough-in was separate, the rest of trim including spout and shower head were part of T17430.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks