(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: old house with oil/steam heat - help

DIY Member

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerBoilerMN View Post
    I have a signed copy, thank you..
    Maybe now is the time to read this book?

DIY Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    "Promoting" a practice is a very very distant cry from "mandating". When the math proves that it's not necessary, it's simply not necessary. Presuming that P/S is the only way to "do it right" is for folks who can't or won't do the math (which is apparently the vast majority of boiler installers.)

Since P/S piping can limit the damage from a host of design errors from the folks who can't/don't do math it's in the manufacturer's interest to promote the practice, but that doesn't mean it's always the right thing to do.
    Are you even reading my posts?
    Last edited by gennady; 09-05-2013 at 07:03 PM.

DIY Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Two words " VFD pumps"
    Sure VFD or at least bypass pressure differential. VFD will decrease flow trough system and boiler without separation when load will drop. Differential pressure by pass will keep same max flow trough the boiler even system flow might be very low, if there is no separation when load will drop. But there is certain flow and delta t requirements for the proper boiler operation. How can you meet those criteria in those conditions, if there is no separation?
    Last edited by gennady; 09-05-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gennady View Post
    Are you even reading my posts?
    Sure. Are you even reading BadgerBoilerMN's posts?

Quote Originally Posted by gennady View Post
    I had a chance to install steam boiler with modifications of steam heating system and condensing boiler on 2 identical brownstones within couple blocks from each other. The gas bills were within 20 dollars difference on winter month. Taking into account electrical charges to drive 2 pumps I would say it was very close call. Good steam system can compete with hot water system. And definitely not worth to convert steam system to hot water. On steam systems oil to gas conversions our average results are 70-75% fuel reduction, depending on how screwed up steam system was.
    Gennady,
    would you please provide more information on changes made to the buildings (insulation, windows, etc.) when modification were made to steam heating system and when steam boiler was replaced by condensing boiler. I'm very interested in your observations. Hot water condensing boilers has an impressive energetic efficiency (based on 1 Law of Thermodynamics) but percentage of usable heat is low (2 Law of Thermodynamics, Carnot ratio) - http://homeenergypros.lbl.gov/profil...-second-law-of
    It works differently with steam boilers, looks like you have a live demo.
    Last edited by izhadano; 09-27-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: broken link