Drop in acrylic tub placement against wall - would resemble alcove?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephenson

Reaction score
Finally got the tub in (Kohler Underscore) - limited by space available, so is 30"x60" ...can be undermounted or drop in or perhaps even push against the outside wall.

Wanted to wait till I laid eyes on it to make sure, but it is VERY straight on sides and ends ... and there is about 3" horizontal space (lip) between outside edge and where it slopes away into the tub itself. I would like to build the platform hard against the outside wall (under a window) to minimize the intrusion into the walk area in front of the tub ... room is long and narrow.

I've seen the tub pushed against the cement board covering the outside wall studs - this would mean only about 3/8-1/2 inch of tile and thinset overlap onto the lip area.

Could I also slide the tub directly against the studs (supported by usual 2x platform topped with plywood which is attached to both floor and outside studs), then CBU down to 1/8" or so above the lip, then thinset and tile down to 1/16"-1/8" above tub then caulk last bit? Would lose another 1/2" of the lip, but doesn't seem like would affect much else - except the look would be more of alcove than drop in. And, would buy back an additional 1/2".

Thanks!

Stephenson

Reaction score
Ended up building platform for drop in installation ...after installation lip near wall has about 1.5" of tile showing and lip to front has about 4" ....felt needed this much for sitting on edge or putting foot up.

Since we wanted the tub to be higher than the normal installation I built the platform 4" higher ...then, during final installation built a support platform with a plywood dam around it to contain the mortar and not interfere with the plumbing ...only had to use one bag of mortar this way ...otherwise would have required a dammed area with 2 or more bags ...hardest thing was to get mortar platform at right height so that the tub bottom and it's integrated support areas were supported with mortar when installed.

After mocking up waste plumbing and dry fitting a couple of times, removed tub, mixed and poured mortar, set the tub, got wife to stand in it and then filled it with couple hundred pounds of water ...left it for a couple of days. Silicon around the edges and dine.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For the mortar setting, I put a few piles below the tub, and then drop the tub down, which squishes out the mortar. You need some space between the piles, or you may wind up with the tub too high. The stuff sets up pretty quickly, and you only need "some" support.

I'm glad you left some space between the wall. Unless you have a tile lip, it's best to keep it back some.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks