(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 100 year old drain line professional augering?The kind with blades to remove build-up

Default 100 year old drain line professional augering?The kind with blades to remove build-up

Line currently blocked and when something up top gets flushed it backs out of basement toilet.
    I will let it sit for several hours till the water seeps out.
    I'm going to snake until I get some flow then put the hard-core sulfuric acid stuff that sizzles when you put it down the line.

This will get me out of the woods.

I want to call in a pro to do angio-plasti on the lines. I saw a skecth at the supply house with different augering bits.

What is the safest cutting augering bit/ tecnique.

I don't want to do the pressure blast since My pipes are old and run under the concrete floor the length of the basement, so I don't want to risk someone breaking a connection.
    If I had to guess the lines sit in sandy dirt with a two inch layer of hand poured concrete.

My pipes are old and run under the concrete floor the length of the basement, so I don't want to risk someone breaking a connection.
    If I had to guess the lines sit in sandy dirt with a two inch layer of hand poured concrete.

Any thoughts on the auger to permanently remove build up in the pipe?

If you are going for best cleaning , I would have the lines water jetted.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CanOfWorms View Post
    ...then put the hard-core sulfuric acid stuff that sizzles when you put it down the line.
    Be absolutely certain to tell the plumber what you have done there so s/he does not get any ugly surprises.
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't like the idea of putting acid in the pipes. Rotting out the pipes with acid when you can't get at them doesn't make a lot of sense.
    I would snake first, then use something safe on the pipes like Bio-Clean to remove left over grease. Instead of burning a small groove down the bottom of the mess, it eats to goo around the entire diameter of the pipe.