Tub/shower pics

Users who are viewing this thread

SH140

Reaction score
After dozens of questions to this group, I finally got this project to the point where I can post some pictures. Still not fully completed, but getting there.

Attachments

• 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 403
  • 71.jpg
    71.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 399
  • 70.jpg
    70.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 421

SH140

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, and thanks for the advice along the way.

Is it necessary to fill tub with water before caulking gap between tub and bottom row of tile if tub is set in a mortar/cement bed?

SH140

Reaction score
Soon I will caulk with silicone around the tub between the tub and bottom row of tile. My wife asked me if I was going to fill tub with water before I caulked. I don't think it's necessary because tub is set in a bed of mortar/concrete, but figured I'd ask beforehand just to be sure. What do you say?

SH140

Reaction score
You'd think that being so close to the end of the project I'd run out of questions, but here's another..............I'll be tiling the vanity top, can I use 3/4" Birch interior plywood for the top under the tile? If so, should I put a coat of paint on it first? Or maybe HydroBan?
I have a roll of Ditra, is it necessary for a countertop?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Birch is pretty stable, but, it is unlikely that it has waterproof/resistant glue...I'd pass on it and use some ply that does...OR, consider using a chunk of KerdiBoard...just use KerdiFix to attach it to the top of the vanity and tile away. Really easy with a top mount sink, a little tougher with an undermount.

hboogz

Reaction score
Awesome work. I'm no pro, but it certainly looks good. Do you have pics of the finished counter ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, on KerdiBoard, it is the foam that is the waterproof component...the orange surfaces are for compatibility to mortar. In fact, you can poke a hole through that, and as long as it does not penetrate all the way through to the other side, not ever worry about sealing it. Those orange surfaces can wick moisture, but that's irrelevant. As long as the edges are properly sealed with Kerdifix, and the through holes either covered with Kerdiband, golden. You're missing a lot of flexibility and speed by ignoring it as a product. You can do more with it in an hour than you could in several days of building a structure like a drop in tub deck or a counter.

Nice looking remodel, however you ended up deciding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks