help, what to use for under bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

ta240

Reaction score
We are installing a drop in tub and I'm trying to find the best product for under it. There is about 3/4" between the feet on the tub and the platform that is there.

039645110263lg.jpg

306f149f-3781-4ef0-900d-cec59e70c78f_300.jpg
f356c151-5574-4443-924b-6c6fb273f693_300.jpg

I tried the top one and I may have mixed it too wet as it is just crumbling now

thanks in advance!

Trevor

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I have successfully used the top one (mortar mix) for decades.
Of course it has to be wet enough to move around, but it should be as dry as possible, i.e. not a slurry You should be able to form peaks.
We leave space between chunks so that the mortar has room to spread. Of course, it is ideal to have eyes on the open space and pack it in from open sides, but you don't always get such an option on remodel work.

ta240

Reaction score
Am I being too impatient on it setting up? It has been about 15 hours and if I poke at it with a screwdriver chunks will break away and then crumble. I'm afraid once they close up the front of the tub panel tomorrow it will then just crack out from under the tub over time and we won't have access to it again.

With such a small amount of distance between the feet and the bottom I'm afraid if I mix it drier it will not push out of the way enough.

ta240

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I'm over reacting at the condition of the mortar.

If I jab at it with a screwdriver it will chip away but jumping up and down in the tub at the area the feet are doesn't have any effect on it.

I'm up against a time limit though as they are coming out tomorrow to close in the front access to the tub

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks