confusing data sheet re: centrifugal/jet pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Traveller

Reaction score
A company I deal with recommended a 1.5 hp Berkeley horizontal multi-stage jet/centrifugal pump (cat. no. 15LT2). They sent along a data sheet showing the performance of this pump in different configurations. Matching the well I plan to install this pump in, I selected, from the data sheet, 20' of suction with a delivered pressure of 40 psi. The tables showed the following performance in GPM.

Shallow well single pipe, 20' of suction, 40 psi = 9.4 gpm

Deep well double pipe, 20' suction, 40 psi = 21.7 gpm

Centrifugal application, single pipe, 20' suction, 40 psi = 39 gpm???

First, what would you do to this pump to operate it in "centrifugal application" as opposed to running it as a "shallow well" single line jet pump?
Second, WHY would anyone run this pump as a shallow well jet pump when you can deliver more than four times as much water running it as a centrifugal pump? I feel I must be missing something here, as I thought centrifugal pumps could not touch the performance of jet pumps drawing from a depth of 20'.

I tried phoning the 1-800 number for this company but spent two hours patiently waiting for a technician while a recording told me how important my business was to them so, I'm hoping someone on the forum can explain this puzzle to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks