toilet leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard S

Reaction score
I installed a Toto Ultramax toilet some months ago. It hasn't gotten much use yet as I've recently just finished the bathroom remodel. The toilet leaks when flushed, but never leaks otherwise. I've got a clear view from below & can see the water leaking when flushed, but never see a single drop any other time. This only seemed to start a short time ago as no one noticed the leak when newly installed.

Would simply replacing the wax ring solve this or does anyone think I've got an issue with the toilet itself.

Thanks

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Probably. Replace and go look again.....

If it seems wobbly make sure you shim it and grout it to make it secure.....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Would simply replacing the wax ring solve this or does anyone think I've got an issue with the toilet itself.

The answer would have to be "maybe" to both questions, because we can't see it and the only way to be sure is to replace the wax ring and see what happens.

Richard S

Reaction score
I'll be replacing the wax ring this week & I'll keep you posted. The toilet's not wobbly. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's only the wax ring.

Thanks,
Richard

Richard S

Reaction score
I pulled it & there appears to be nothing wrong with the toilet. so I figure the wax ring somehow failed. Which leads to the next set of questions.

1. As the toilet flange is slightly recessed in the floor, I think I should probably use a 2nd wax ring. A colleague mentioned that it won't seal properly having 2 separate wax rings on top of one another as the wax rings won't form 1 solid mass under the toilet. This is contrary to what I've read here & elsewhere, & was hoping to hear some feedback on this.

2. I've seen Terry's posts on installing the waxless rings & was considering using it. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks,
Richard

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can get a seal with two wax rings, but it also then becomes more susceptible to failure if you use the plunger on it. On the two toilets in my home, I used the Fluidmaster waxless rings. I've not had any problems, but that is only a sample of two. Wax has been in use for decades and is proven. I just liked the idea of making it alot cleaner if you wanted to pull the toilet, like I had to do occassionally while doing remodeling without having to scrape up and clean up the old wax.

Richard S

Reaction score
Jim,
In your sample size of 2, have you used a plunger yet with the Fluidmaster waxless ring? If so, did it break the seal?

Thanks,
Richard

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have 2 toilets, both equipped with waxless rings. Never have to plunge them, so can't speak to that question, but I like the waxless if for not other reason than not having to deal with the mess. Some folks have reported that it is easier to install waxless if you put the ring on the toilet's horn first, then lower the toilet onto the flange. You must make certain the toilet is seated into the flange and is solid.

Richard S

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post a follow-up. I installed the Fluidmaster waxless ring & couldn't be happier. It's been a few days now & no leaks detected after multiple flushes. Terry's tip about putting the ring on the toilet first was definitely the way to go.

Thanks again. Now that bathroom remodel is officially finished, it's on to the next bathroom :)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I also agree with putting the Fluidmaster waxless on the horn first. Fluidmasters little cardboard strips seem like a "light-bulb" idea some engineer had to make it consumer friendly, but I am less than confident in their ability to ensure that the red washer snaps up over the horn like it needs to.

One other thing you could do for future reference is use some 1/4" thick flange extenders to get the height up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks