How to make a drain viable

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey all, I just managed to get grate off that was over a drain that I wanted to drain the softener into (thanks for the advice!), but the drain appears to be clogged (hasnt been used in 30 years or so). Is there any way to unclog it? I poured some draino into it but it didnt really seem do anything at all.

Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Drain cleaner are totally useless on a clogged drain. Might clear up a clogged P trap, but not a drain. It needs to be cleaned by a professional with professional equipment. DIY snakes are mostly a waste of time as they are too small and too short. Even if you could find one to rent, the larger snakes are very dangerous for a novice, in fact they are dangerous for a pro as well.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Going through a "P" trap with a snake is always iffy. A small one could just coil up and kink, while a larger one may not make the sharp bend. One of the plumbers tried to snake through a "P" trap one and it felt like he was sending a lot of snake down the drain. When he pulled it out, because he was not clearing the drain, he found the snake has snapped into a lot of 18" pieces when it tried to go around the bend.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I thought the same thing about the snake (worth a try, but it'd be hard to get down there, and it might break, since I'm pretty positive it's just a p-trap in the floor). I'll still try it, though. I'm gonna try plunging it too. I'd try to stick a garden hose in there but I dont know where I'd attach it in the basement.

I'm never gonna be able to drain this softener lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks