Iron pump on hot water loop?

Users who are viewing this thread

dwi

Reaction score
Hi,
In my maintenance job I came across a small B&G circulating pump installed on a hot water loop in a 60+ room Motel. It isn't very old, less than a year. I found the box that it came in indicating it is an iron cast not brass. What problems should I be aware of to report to the owner? I'm sure the cost difference was
the reason this happened.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code requires it to be SS or bronze as I understand it. Because potable water has lots of dissolved oxygen, it will eat itself up fairly quickly, not counting the iron it adds to the water for potential stains on the sinks and showers. An iron pump is only okay in heating situations where it is a closed system - there, the oxygen gets purged fairly quickly and the water becomes somewhat inert.

Last edited:

dwi

Reaction score
Code requires it to be SS or brass as I understand it. Because potable water has lots of dissolved oxygen, it will eat itself up fairly quickly, not counting the iron it adds to the water for potential stains on the sinks and showers. An iron pump is only okay in heating situations where it is a closed system - there, the oxygen gets purged fairly quickly and the water becomes somewhat inert.

Are there any potential health problems connected with this sort of thing? Wouldn't the rust build up in the water heaters over time?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There aren't any "health problems" unless someone starts drinking the hot water. The pump will rust and deteriorate fairly rapidly because of the oxygen in fresh water. Cost and lack of knowledge, are the two most common reasons. the "rust" will occur ON the pump and will stay there until the pump fails.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The rust particles could flow through the pipes and clog faucets and/or showerheads. Because it is being distributed to lots of places, the amount would be small at any one place, and it may not be noticeable. The 'proper' pump costs more, but maybe not when you consider that the iron one will need to be replaced sooner and could create some other issues along the way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the particles detach from the pump, and they usually do not, they will go into the storage tank and fall to the bottom. The quantity would be very small so they would not "fill up" anything, nor would they gravitate to the faucets.

dwi

Reaction score
Thank you both for your help. I may not get them to change it right now but they may just change it soon enough.

dwi

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks