Measuring 30+ grains with Hach 5B kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Lifespeed

Reaction score
Today I measured 31 grains hardness using Hach 5B in my wildly-varying municipal supply. Is the test kit accurate at these higher hardness levels? I heard mention of diluting the test-tube-sized sample (perhaps with RO water?) and doubling the resulting drop count.

Is this necessary for accuracy?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Hach says "Total hardness test kit with drop count titration covers a 1-30 gpg range with 1 gpg increments." I suggested the dilution technique a while back mainly to (a) comply with Hach's guideline, and (b) save titrating agent. If you're happy counting out 31 drops, experience suggests that's fine, but I'd be a lot happier diluting 3:1 and counting out 10. I've got a source of DI water, though.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I have tested the HACH 5B test kit to 80 grains without dilution and found it to be accurate within 2-4%. Not bad considering, but dilution method as mentioned above is preferred.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks