Combining vents in attic

Users who are viewing this thread

handyman923

Reaction score
I am combining some vents in our attic. I have a 1-1/2" line teeing (horizontal) into a 2" line. Can I use a sanitary tee (horizontal) or should I use a combo wye for this vent?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Vents can use any fitting you want to, just remember that if you use sanitary fittings in the vent, inspectors will want to see the air flow going the right way even though it is immaterial.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, your vent lines need the proper slope. Rain, condensation, or whatever may get into the pipe, and it must be allowed to flow down and out. Depending on how many different vent stacks you are combining, you may need to increase the size of the pipe going up from there. Depending on where you live, there's often a minimum size penetrating the roof to minimize the chances of it closing off from hoar frost in the winter.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Vents need "some" slope. You don't necessarily have to go with 1/4 IPC though. Sanitary tees are not vent tees but then again vent tees are hard to find. Though an inspector may question the "air flow" there's nothing in the code that says San-tees used for vent have to be installed in any particular direction. Air is going to flow regardless of the placement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks