(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Air Bubble Tubs and Water Temp

Hybrid View

Default Air Bubble Tubs and Water Temp

I have read afew forum posts discussing the effects of physics on water temp for air bubble tubs. As we plan our master bath remodel I am leaning toward a drop in air bubble tub but do have a concern aboiut water temp. Nothing worse than a tepid tub of water when soaking an aching back or neck. I see where many have low wattage heaters but not convinced they have enough wattage to heat much.

So thats the question.. does anyone have positive experiences with an air bubble tub that has some form of a heating system (other than having an endless supply of hot water for continuous refills) that actually works? Appreciate any feedback! Thx

You really do not need to heat the water, just maintain its temperature.

Good Luck.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

DonL.. that was what I meant. Not trying to heat the water but want to maintain the temp even when air bubbles are going through. Seeking user feedback on tubs that actually do a good job of this. Some hot refresh isn't an issue but rapid cooling is. Most claim to have some form of in line heater or air heater but not much is specified in terms of wattage or how well they do their job. Other I have seen offer things such as "hyrdo Fusion" that apprently recirculate and reheat the water to maintain original temp. Question I have is do these things work!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The act of compressing and pumping the air heats it. Try using a pump to add air to a bike tire and you'll see what I mean. But, most of them require the inlet air to be at least 70-degrees so it's adequate once compressed, so where you draw that air can make a difference. I have an air tub by Jason International. The air turbine is on a timer, and with one 'shot' it runs for 20-minutes. The water temp does drop some during that time, but I start it out a little hotter than I like and it's fine at the end. Those tubs that combine both air and water pumps typically also have in-line heaters. On mine, it's just air, and I don't miss having a heater. Throwing in a water circulator and heater negates some of the benefits of an air tub in that it will limit what you can use in the water, and the cleaning regimen will be MUCH more tedious and intolerable of slack. With just an air tub, it blow dries the internal passages when finished. Try that when water is involved, and you'll ruin the pump, so that stagnant water sits there between uses and things can and will grow.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Jad,

Thx for returning my thoughts to one of the reasons why I dislike whirpools... taking water out of the tub and circulating them around. Obviously an in line heater such as that is doing same "trick". As long as the water isn't cooled super quickly I should be fine. I do not normally spend more than 15 minutes soaking at a time.

That said my 1992 vintage house does not have anti scald devices and I am able to enjoy really hot water. When bathroom remodel goes in I will need to be careful with new valves to ensure I can deliver hotter water than say 104 degrees. Another topic though. I am still leaning toward a BW 75 gallon water heater though AO SMith Vertex units are under consideration even with higher price tag as they seem capable of delivering up to 3 gpm of hot water endlessly. Having hot water make up in event air bubbles too rapidly cool the water might be a good idea.

Based on your post I think I will abandon to kepe it warm heater idea. There are 2 places that sell Jason Intl about 2 hours form me but we go there fairly often due to mother in law's passing and tending to her home so it may give me a chance to price them out and see them. Am having a difficult time finding places that actually have much on disply to see. Thx for the post! It helps.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I have a thermostatic filler valve...it has a safety stop at (I think) 105, but you can press a button and override that. I do not find I need to go above the safety stop. An anti-scald valve is supposed to be adjusted (at the time of install) to limit the max temp. This is somewhat problematic, since it is only adjusting the hot/cold balance, and the cold temp can vary considerably winter/summer. The thermostatic valve seems to maintain, regardless. It is especially useful as you start to drain the WH, since it will keep adding more hot to maintain the set temp, while a standard valve just maintains the balance between the hot and cold, disregarding the fact the hot may be cooling. I've got a 60g tank, and I"ve never run out of hot, but my use pattern may differ from yours.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014