No clue why this is leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

derekb

Reaction score
Hi everyone. we did a full gut of our existing bathroom and as I've done with other reno's, cut the existing plumbing off and replaced it completely. I've never had an issue like this that i couldn't figure out. When we water tested it i had no leak. Now both sinks are leaking (very slowly) at the joint where the nut screws down. Water is slowly seeping out through the groove. I've tried to tape it but that didn't help. Anything i'm missing on this? thanks for the help! photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I can't see where your leak is, but the water can leak down the threads on the tailpiece if you don't use pipe dope on the threads.

derekb

Reaction score
new picture - shows the leak

Sorry but i thought my first attempt at this saved but clearly not. here is the picture showing the leak. photo.JPG

I can't see where your leak is, but the water can leak down the threads on the tailpiece if you don't use pipe dope on the threads.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those traps suck and are the wrong size. Trash them and get 1-1/4" traps and adapters.

derekb

Reaction score
That was my next plan if this wasn't easily fixable. looks like another trip to a big box store! thanks for the help!

Asktom

Reaction score
Things probably aren't lined up straight so it is binding at the union before it seals. All you can do is tighten the nut more or go back to square one.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those are lousy traps and I NEVER use them. Tighten the nut a bit more. But I DO use 1 1/2" traps rather than 1 1/4'" ones.

So do I if the adapter or pipe in the wall is 1-1/2" look closer, it's been trap adapterd down at the wall.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I made the picture bigger and it is all 1-1/2. It looked like a brass piece in a trap adapter to me.

derekb

Reaction score
It's 1 1/2 all the way through. I was just replacing what was already there with new stuff and trying to make it work. I don't do much plumbing by any stretch so would love your alls recommendations. I bought 1 1/4 traps tonight with a flex spout but don't really love the idea of using that. Thank your again for our help!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It helps if you tighten the two halves of the trap before you install it to the sink, as a tiny misalignment in the joint can cause it to leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks